Thread: A border and more

Guild Apprentice

Post A border and more

This is a border between an European and an Japanese/Asian countries.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	border.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	74622

There seems to be a big difference in style between the trees/ground and the buildings. I can't figure out how to make them look like they belong together. Any advice?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Cool little spot you've mapped out! The discrepancy is just in your art style, the buildings look like you made them with Illustrator and the trees are like Photoshop. I think the palisade is somewhere between. It doesn't break the map, but if you want a more uniform style you could make some more "cartoony" looking trees, just three or four variations, and scatter them around just changing the size and background colour. I'm less certain what you might do to make the buildings match the trees, but I guess you could use some brushes and "paint" the structures.

Maybe even just some darker outlines on the trees might connect the elements better; the buildings all have heavy lined edges and the trees don't have any. I think the map looks good though, I guess it depends on what you're going to do with it how much more you'll need to change.

Hopefully that's useful.

cheers,
    Meshon

Guild Apprentice

Here something I've been working for a while. It was commissioned to be all round.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3ZA2LMI.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	74685