Thread: Fantasy Map - Beginner

Default Fantasy Map - Beginner

Hello, Id like to get some advices in how to improve my map making skills.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56430716/karte.jpg

So you have some Ideas? Im kind of "stuck" I think the trees and mountains look to "generic"
    and the rivers cant be seen at all. Is my map to big?

The big black stroke illustrates a deep crack that has split the continent.
    Do you have a better idea how to illustrade that?

The dottet lines are borders but i think ill remove them.

Do you know some cool writing fonts for map making?

Do you have an Idea how to illustrade citys and a volcano?

All the best,
    Max.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild! I really like the background for your map, now if only it had some grease stains and dirt, like an explorer has been carrying it around in her back pocket for a while and looking it over while she eats lunch...

For the crack in the world I would try showing the cliff edges on the top side of the crack, something that matches the angle of your trees and mountains. As to the rest, there are many different ways of doing what you're looking for. I would suggest hunting around here at the guild for maps that do what you're trying to do and basically copy their techniques. The tutorials thread will probably give you a dozen different ways to tackle each of the things you want to do.

cheers,
    Meshon

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Cirias's Avatar

I think this is really nice. I especially like the colours and the general antique feel to it.

I think your mountain/forest placement could do with some fine tuning. The forests are very obvious that they were created using brushes in pre-defined shapes - some randomness (i.e. manually cleaning up the edges of the forests) would do wonders.

The dotted lines and the line representing the crack do not fit with this map's style at all. With the dotted lines, maybe try a faint solid line (or overlay the layer) with some colour highlights just inside the line. By colour highlighting, I am referring to something similar to the technique in this map: http://historic-cities.huji.ac.il/blaue_europe.jpg

I like your rivers up close, but they are invisible when zoomed out a bit. Maybe try making them solid, thin black lines like the example in the map I linked.

Also, I am interested how you got your map's background texture. Is it a paper texture from the internet or something you made yourself? It's really nice, I'd like to know your secret!

Thanks for your reply!

This is what the map looks like now:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56430716/karte.jpg

Some more Ideas from you guys? There are many holy places, special place names, etc. missing. So expect some more words coming on this thing.

The effect i used to creat this paper look is really simple. Its a scanned old paper from somewhere in the internet.
    Its the top layer + multiply mode.

Thats all