Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Northlands

Map The Northlands

About a week or so ago Coda19 [here on the Guild] commissioned me again to revisit the lands around Frosthaven, where his group campaigns over on Obsidian Portal. Once again he provided a very nice and thorough design brief which made this a pleasure to work on.
    As I've said before Jim is a great guy and a wonderful client and I'm always happy to work with him.
    I'm always happy with the results. Frosthaven can be seen here - http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=29925

He had requested something in the style of the ESB Overview map - http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=30437
    I added some new facets to that style with this map and I think I'll use those again - the forests going past the edges on the top and sides.
    I did icons for cities and special sites. I didn't think I could make them that small and still visible but it worked out ok.
    Obviously this is a lower res version so the icons don't show as well so I'm adding a cropped area to show those.
    Cheers,
    John

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northlands [L] by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	970 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	74764

Name:  Northlands - Brot.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  69.2 KB Name:  Northlands - Frosthaven.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  Northlands - Grave.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  91.0 KB Name:  Northlands - Mistwyk.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  63.7 KB

Name:  Northlands - site1.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  60.0 KB Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northlands - Westwatch.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	74770

Name:  Northlands - site2.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  55.7 KB
    Last edited by J.Edward; 07-16-2015 at 11:53 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Beautiful. I really like the icons that have some geographical context built in. I think that is a brilliant innovation. Brot is perfection.

Cheers,
    Meshon

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Thanks Meshon.
    A DA member just told me what Brot means. I had to laugh at that. Bread. Nice.
    Next time I do icons like these I'm going to try to integrate them better.
    There are a few spots where they aren't worked in as well as they should be.

Great work! Great great work!

I think that this map and this style you are developing is getting closer to the work of Erwin Raisz. And that is, really, beyond 1st class. I can't give you any more reputation at this time, so settle with the compliments (which I'll repeat - BEYOND 1st CLASS)

Here's one suggestion (dunno whether you have the time or the inclination for it): make a smallish map in this style for a real location - for practice and to tune your technique with real life geological formations.

Thank you so much Pixie. That means a lot to me.
    I've been inspired for years by the work of Raisz and Imhof and tried to work toward that.
    I never really thought someone would make such a comparison. Thank you.

That is a sound idea as well. I have meant to do that but work keeps getting in the way.
    I had a commission that then fell through that was to be a real world location.
    Maybe I'll do the work on my own anyways.
    I will be harder than doing it freestyle as the real formations must be done just so.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Very nice work as usual Though I agree that icons (which are great) could be integrated better to the map, bhut that's a minor neatpick. Did you draw them separately then included them on the map?

Looks great.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks Sap and ChickPea.
    Thank you Max. They were drawn separately and added after.
    I made an effort to integrate some of them but didn't notice a few others that weren't integrated until after I posted this.
    On a few of the icons I did alter them to fit their locations but missed some.
    Originally I tried drawing them right in but I wasn't happy with how they were turning out so I started drawing them on a different document.

Beautiful map John, keep them coming! You remain such an inspiration.

Don't know if you've heard this saying before, but one of the major rules for type is NOT to letterspace lowercase letters --a book was written by eric speikerman (top type designer) called "STOP STEALING SHEEP and Find out how Type Works", where he points out some not to do rules for type. If you try these in all caps you may see they read a little better.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast