Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone else prefer industrial fantasy to medieval fantasy?

I very much prefer to look at earlier models as base for my fantasy: beginning with the nascent civilizations of Sumer and Egypt, up to late antiquity and migrations era. As far as mixing fantasy with "advanced" technology goes, I'd much rather go for something gonzo-futuristic (ray guns! jetpacks! giant robots!) or really weird and decidedly unrealistic stuff, rather than any kind of imitation of actual post-medieval tech. I find steam engines and muskets to be boring and ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    I very much prefer to look at earlier models as base for my fantasy: beginning with the nascent civilizations of Sumer and Egypt, up to late antiquity and migrations era. As far as mixing fantasy with "advanced" technology goes, I'd much rather go for something gonzo-futuristic (ray guns! jetpacks! giant robots!) or really weird and decidedly unrealistic stuff, rather than any kind of imitation of actual post-medieval tech. I find steam engines and muskets to be boring and ugly.
    In my mention of working on a Gothic Western setting, I didn't mention "steampunk", as I really don't care for that concept (or anything "punk" really). I'd much rather cleave closer to an authentic Old West, with elements of magic and gothic horror.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    (or anything "punk" really)
    I was trying to describe The Legend of Korra to a friend and I settled on Steam-Jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology (attribution left as an exercise for the reader).
    "Any sufficiently analysed magic is indistinguishable from science"

- Girl Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemiana View Post
    I'm very much a fantasy fan as opposed to science fiction, but I haven't been interested in building medieval settings in quite a long time. If I do make something with they typical dungeons and Dragons/Pathfinder medievalesque weapons and armor, I include a level of magical integration with technology that results in an industrial revolution. I usually go farther with that, though, making cartridge firearms the dominant weapons of the setting. I like guns in my fantasy. My medieval magitech work always has the arquebus, and I would never make a setting where trains weren't a common technology. I wouldn't call anything I do Steampunk, as I lean more towards Gaslamp Fantasy or something set in a fantasy expy of the mid 20th century, but I use some Steampunk and Dieselpunk elements, and do not dislike either style. I do not do Urban Fantasy, as I prefer my magic to be publicly known.

Does anyone else like more technology in their fantasy?
    I'm still a big, big fan of medieval stasis fantasy settings, but I too have gone in the direction of a second world dieselpunk/fantasy hybrid.

Guns, big clunky mechnical stuff, fantasy races, magic, interesting branding and advertising opportunities (another area I geek out about)... sign me up.
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

I definitely do! That said, medieval European fantasy has its place and since I grew up with it, it'll always have a place in my heart. That place is right next to the MYST series, which I think counts as industrial fantasy (if more subdued than other examples).

Anyway, I'm a prospective author and I'm making a fantasy world set in an equivalent of early modern Germany, but with no caster-type magic (which I'm also tired of, frankly). Very... "early hinge of the Industrial era." I enjoy the effortless complexity I'm able to weave just based on how I can relate to it a bit better than medieval settings (and sometimes I like the simplicity of medieval settings, but what are you gonna do?)

Guild Novice

I like both, I just prefer to not combine the two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12