Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July / Aug 15 Lite Challenge: Make a Map for a Paperback.

Default July / Aug 15 Lite Challenge: Make a Map for a Paperback.

July / Aug 15 Lite Challenge: Make a Map for a Paperback.

Pretend you have been commissioned to make a map that will be included in a paperback novel.
    Keep in mind that it would have to print well on a 5" wide by 7" tall page, and would most likely be black and white.
    It can be any genre and any type of map, a town, a city, a region, a world, or it could be a smaller area like a dungeon,
    a Cave, or a spaceship deck plans. As long as it is something that would relate to the story in the novel.

The Lite Challenge will end on August 14 and will be followed by 3 days of Voting.

The winner will receive a shiny new Silver Compass.

As always, please include the following in your thread:

Title each new thread July / Aug 2015 Entry - <your title>

Precede each WIP image with the tag ### Latest WIP ### otherwise your maps won't be in the Thumbnail section. It is best to only have 1 map of the latest WIP in that specific post to be sure the WIP you want is in that section.

Cool idea. I'll give it some thought.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Fun! Are you thinking an existing novel, or is the idea more to produce a map in the genre of paperback novel maps?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

In that genre. You can make a map for an actual novel, or just one that looks like it would be in a novel.

I actually do have a commission to make just such a novel. Would it be acceptable to use it as a Challenge entry (I started work about 2 days ago and plan to be done by August)?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I actually do have a commission to make just such a novel. Would it be acceptable to use it as a Challenge entry (I started work about 2 days ago and plan to be done by August)?
    According to the rule, I think that you have to start a map specifically for the challenge.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    According to the rule, I think that you have to start a map specifically for the challenge.
    Could you please give a link to where that rule is posted? I was under the impression that it simply had to be started within the challenge time frame. I didn't know there was a rule that it couldn't be used for other things like commissions after it was finished.

The topic of rights and intent of use of challenge maps was brought up in the discussions with the annual challenge, if I recall correctly, and though I'm not sure if it was ever actually stated as a solid rule I at least took it as an informal understanding or agreement that such maps should be created for the challenge alone and not a third party, though it could be used for other purposes after the challenge. At least, that's what I remember of that subject of the conversation. Someone else will likely have a better answer. I hope so anyway, as I'd like to understand it better. Seems weird in some respects, and makes sense in others.

There does appear to be a clear instruction in this challenge to pretend you have been commissioned, but it also has been said that you can create a map for an existing novel. I don't know, but I'd say it makes sense that if you have the right to use and show the map in the challenge and it meets all of the requirements then there's not much difference. But, challenge rules aside, it depends on the terms of the commission and your agreement with the author if you have the right to, or should, reveal the map before the book is published.

OK, so I read through the rules and while there are always more than one way to interpret a rule I saw nothing that I would interpret as preventing an artist from using a map that was not being made solely for this challenge. I believe it is far more important that the map is started after the contest is announced and finished in the time given. I agree with Chashio that if you are making the map to be published by someone else, you should be sure it is OK with them for you to post the map, I know that with some of the commissions I've done the author did not want the map out in the public before the game was finished. Many larger companies want the rights to the map, so in that case you should never post it, ( and they should pay you extra for that level of ownership ).

I hope we don't forget that the point of this is to provide an actual challenge and develop our mapping skills.
    I see no problem with using challenge maps for commissions after a challenge, but it would be somewhat unfair to combine a commission with a challenge simply because it would seem convenient to do so.
    Any hobby or job requires juggling time around, I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast