Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: July / Aug 15 Lite Challenge: Make a Map for a Paperback.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Could you please give a link to where that rule is posted? I was under the impression that it simply had to be started within the challenge time frame. I didn't know there was a rule that it couldn't be used for other things like commissions after it was finished.
    I was actually referring to the timeframe rule but reading again GreatWhitenorth post his map might fit in the right timeframe. But indeed, Chasio's rght here, I also had in mind the discussion within the annual challenge thread. Anyway I leave it to Bogie since he was the one who started the challenge and I think he gave his opinion on it.

I see no problem with it. Many of my challenge maps I've actually published, including this months full Challenge, I created my motorcross race track in one day, then the next (today) its already for sale at DTRPG, and it hasn't even been voted on yet...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Banned User

Thank you, Bogie! I see no reason why this should even be a problem for the annual challenge or any other. As long as the map meets the time frame and topic, there is nothing to say it can't be used any other way the copyright owner wishes.

Question: What's the standard time zone for the closing date? Is it midnight on the 14th, US time? midnight on the 13th?

There is not a specific time set. I will close this out and start the voting when I get home some time Friday night the 14th (between 9pm and midnight) Eastern Daylight Savings time. I have even been known to fall asleep in my recliner after dinner and delay the closing a bit. What can I say, I'm an old fart.

So here I am, late as usual, at least only an hour this time.

Heh - I'm glad you were a little late - that let my entry get in under the wire :-).

What wonderful entries this month!

On a side note, in regards to the question about whether or not it's OK to enter a piece into a challenge that is also intended for a commissioned publication, if I recall I think the concern was over the license of the piece in question. To prevent the Guild from any liability we want to ensure that anything published on our site is not going to infringe upon anyone's copyright. This of course is also a concern when publishing a commissioned piece in our finished maps forum as well. However most licensing arrangements will still allow the artist to display their work in an online portfolio, but it may have to be at a reduced resolution and/or have a watermark over it or copyright info or some such (and usually none of this is done for a WIP piece). I guess the most important thing if your client holds the copyright for the piece is to make sure that they are aware of what you are using the map for and are alright with you doing so.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    What wonderful entries this month!

On a side note, in regards to the question about whether or not it's OK to enter a piece into a challenge that is also intended for a commissioned publication, if I recall I think the concern was over the license of the piece in question. To prevent the Guild from any liability we want to ensure that anything published on our site is not going to infringe upon anyone's copyright. This of course is also a concern when publishing a commissioned piece in our finished maps forum as well. However most licensing arrangements will still allow the artist to display their work in an online portfolio, but it may have to be at a reduced resolution and/or have a watermark over it or copyright info or some such (and usually none of this is done for a WIP piece). I guess the most important thing if your client holds the copyright for the piece is to make sure that they are aware of what you are using the map for and are alright with you doing so.
    That's great, Arsheesh, thanks for sorting this out!

That makes a lot of sense. My map is a commission, but I'm the copyright holder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12