Thread: July 2015 Entry: Mad Max Moto Cross

Default July 2015 Entry: Mad Max Moto Cross

Well its been an age since I've participated in a challenge, and only because its a quick way to do a post-apocalyptic map (which I very seldom ever do). So I decided this would be a ruined urban site for a "Mad Max" style motorcross track. Think combat motorcycles in competition, while heavy crossbow turrets are placed on the track for additional threats besides the terrain and the other competitors. So far I've got most of two side walls of wall, debris, parked trailers, and ruined structures. Notice the road is broken up. I haven't placed the background because I need the layout done, to determine where to place dirt tracks cut into the background - so I'll be doing that towards the end. I plan a water hazard, pile of burning tires, walled off audience stands and officiating booth. A lot more to do.

That building south has some collapsed floors requiring bikers to enter building, negotiate walls, broken floor ramps and move one level down then back up again.

I'm using Xara Designer Pro 9, a vector drawing application with photo-texture fills.

GP

###Latest WIP###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mad-max-moto-cross-1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	74829
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-20-2015 at 07:23 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Welcome in the contest
    I've always liked Post apocalyptic maps so i really enjoy your subject. It's also nice to see a map done with another app than photoshop, i didn't know xara at all but it looks like it handle textures way better than illustrator, must be pleasant to work with!

Thank you, Francissimo! Yes, I find that Xara can let me do anything. I even do hand-drawn maps finished in Xara, scanned as hand-line overlays, and create maps professionally. I seem to be one of the few that use Xara as my preferred application.

I added some more curving trackway, leading into the next ruined building (which I'm doing next).

###Latest WIP###

Name:	mad-max-moto-cross-2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	4.02 MB 
ID:	74833
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Next update, I'm about 3/4 done. I included a toxic water hazard, a wall of burning tires in the southwest corner and some mogul hills for bikes to jump... moving right along.

GP

###Latest WIP###

Name:	mad-max-moto-cross-3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	74840
    DrivethruRPG store

Done!

###Latest WIP###

Name:	mad-max-moto-cross-final.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	74857
    DrivethruRPG store

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

So… when does the board game come out? I'm guessing that you'll need time to develop a ruleset and pieces so, based on how long it took you for this map to come together… maybe Thursday?

jk. sort of. I'd play this game. Nice work!

cheers,
    Meshon

Well, believe or not, not only was this map created in a very short time, but instead of waiting for voting results, I have made this into a PDF product and it is now available for sale at DTRPG. The product is 47 pages long with cover, title page, and a single page gazetteer, followed by 35 pages of sliced letter size sheets with square grid ready to print, 4 each 24 inch square tiles with grid ready to print, 4 each 24 inch square tiles (no grid) ready for virtual tabletop use, and a full 48 inch square map (no grid) ready for virtual tabletop use for $2.99 on my Gamer Printshop page... HERE!

GP

Name:	post-apoc-motocross-cover.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	74878
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-21-2015 at 06:01 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

I do really like this. I think my only critique would be the yellow construction vehicle and the blue... container things? look too clean compared to everything else. But it really is a great course. Solid videogame material too I imagine.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I do really like this. I think my only critique would be the yellow construction vehicle and the blue... container things? look too clean compared to everything else. But it really is a great course. Solid videogame material too I imagine.
    It wasn't much to add some rust to the excavator and the blue cargo boxes, so I did - thanks for the critique, Larb!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	mad-max-motocross-fixed.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	3.56 MB 
ID:	74882
    DrivethruRPG store

One more update. The ballista turret on the top right wasn't centered on the tower, as the rest of the ballista turrets, so I fixed that. The bike tracks adjacent to that turret somehow moved beneath the hill in the last update, so I fixed that as well. I also put a little rust on the 2 blue generators (?) and the large generator inside the building on the left center, since they appeared too new as well. They are inside a building with an intact roof (at least over the rooms they are in), so should have less effects of weathering than the outside containers and vehicles.

Note despite not having a grid (it's more virtual tabletop ready in this version), this map is set at encounter scale 1 inch equals 5 feet, at 48 inches square and 100 ppi, thus scaled 240 feet per side.

Now I'm calling this done!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	motorcross-final.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	74921
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-24-2015 at 07:21 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store