Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: July / Aug 15 Lite Mapping Challenge: Eldara

Default July / Aug 15 Lite Mapping Challenge: Eldara

Hey everyone, here's my first challenge entry on this site. I've organized it such that the map will appear on two facing pages, with a gap in the center to account for the fold of the book.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eldara Small.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	702.4 KB 
ID:	74880

Welcome to the challenge!

You're off to a nice start and I like the faded lines around the coast. I'm thinking about doing something like that myself, though I haven't completely decided. Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

I know you said elsewhere this is a commission. Can you tell us anything about the story behind the map?
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Unfortunately I can't right now. The author has been a little difficult to get ahold of sometimes (working across incredible time zones will do that), so most of our contact has been hammering out the contract and and specifics. I hope to learn more about the story soon!

Ah, that's understandable. No worries.

Looking forward to seeing the map fill out a little.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

### Latest WIP ###

Added (most but not all) the skeletons of the forests, as well some of the tree cover within the forests. I'm still not exactly sure of my plan for the mountain style, but that will come soon.

My plan is to complete the whole left panel before I start the right, just in case I can't finish by the deadline, so I can use the single page aspect ratio rather than two facing pages.

Views:	67 
Size:	956.8 KB 
ID:	74904

Very nice. I had originally envisioned a single page map, but I didn't actually say that and I have seen many books that split the map over 2 pages like this, so keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Bogie; 07-23-2015 at 11:44 PM.

Critique my mountains: I think I've settled on a style I want to use for the map, but for some reason I feel like I'm missing something. Let me know if you have any suggestions on how to improve the mountains in general.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	69 
Size:	985.0 KB 
ID:	74922

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Critique my mountains: I think I've settled on a style I want to use for the map, but for some reason I feel like I'm missing something. Let me know if you have any suggestions on how to improve the mountains in general.
    Ha! I wish I could do mountains that well!

I can't draw mountains at all, but I see nothing wrong with yours. ( I am assuming you will be shading all of them the same way )

### Latest WIP ###

Mountains are coming along, and the forest is filling in. That's what should take me the longest and I'm not particularly excited about drawing all the tiny tree tops.

Views:	59 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	74937

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast