Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July / Aug 15 Lite Mapping Challenge: The Fosmark

Map July / Aug 15 Lite Mapping Challenge: The Fosmark

Hello everyone.

Just an outline idea for now.

I thought if the challenge is to make a map for a paperback, then it should be readable at that scale. This is going to be tricky for me because I keep working at different zoom levels! So I want to try and create the entire map using only one pen (maybe 2), and without zooming in too far. (I'm not sure if this is a good idea from a cartographic perspective, but it seems like a good exercise!)

The mountains are going to need re-drawing, at the moment I'm not sure how to make them stand out from the coastline, maybe I should use a different pen size for the coastline. And I've already walked straight into perspective problems with the hills!!

It's located to the west of Halarnoth, I think there is a tectonic plate to the south of Halarnoth that I imagine is moving upwards, causing this kind of squashed landscape. The Fosmark is the peninsula in the centre of the map, to the North East are the Plains of Tulinor. The Fosmark is a very rainy place, keeping the plains to the north fairly dry, to the northwest the mountains harbour a desert beyond.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fosmark1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	947.3 KB 
ID:	74891

Good start Wolram!

Yay Wolram, glad you're joining in again! (These challenges are so addictive.)

Part of your landmass at first glance sorta reminded me of the west coast of Scotland, though I'm not entirely sure why. I think it might be those deep inlets in the bottom left quarter of the map. Doesn't matter either way, it just caught my eye!

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what you do next. Maybe you should invest in a second monitor so you can be zoomed in & zoomed out at the same time. I think Photoshop supports that, or am I completely mistaken? I don't think Gimp does, though I've never actually tried and I have a second monitor. Hmmmm ... I think I need to experiment!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

These challenges do seem to be addictive!

It is quite Scotlandy, I will need to do some research into Scotland's geography. I think a lot of the landscape was actually created by glacial movement so I'll have to learn a bit about that and reconsider my own tectonic/glacier background for the map.

I had a look at some maps in books, and actually a lot of them are more detailed than I had originally thought, so I will redraw this one with a smaller pen, and get a bit more detail in it too.

I definately can't afford a new monitor because I've spent all my money on cartography inspiring adventures!

A quick look during my lunch break has revealed that I heavily underestimated the field of geology. I'm making each of my maps as part of the same world, but It seems I really need to set out the world and it's tectonics first!

For this competition though, I will continue with The Fosmark, and try to incorporate some of the geological basics locally. It will be a nice learning curve...

Good luck with all the geology research! There are quite a number of knowledgable people in the Guild about this subject, so I'm sure you'll be able to get advice if you're stuck with anything. I can see that it would become important if you're trying to create a whole planet.

I find every map is a learning process, in one way or another, and that's no bad thing!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Making a whole world from tectonics upward is a lenghty process, it will require plenty of study and resilience to endure the constant changes and make overs. When it gets done, you are much more in tune that world, though. I loved the results I got, and a few other users also got great results (search for threads by groovey, ascanius, acrsome).

Hai-Etlik (if he comes by) will warn you sternly that tectonics are worked out BEFORE you determine your landmasses and coastlines. It is a very good advice. That's because adjusting tectonics to existing maps is very hard. Bottom line is, if you want to work out a whole-world-tectonics, you need to be open to changes on your existing landshape, otherwise, it's impossible to do it.

Reminds me of Norway but with palm trees (if I understood correctly). Even if the fjords were carved by the movement of the ice, it doesn't explain why the terrain was more elevated than the surroundings.

I've made a start on setting out the world here:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=31235

It needs more detail, but if I can get it set out right in the next few weeks I could maybe detail one part of it for this competition... perhaps...

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Did the action of the plates subduct this map? For some reason I just like the first thumbnail. Put lables on and call it a new style!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast