Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: July / Aug 15 Lite Challenge: Greylandia

Banned User

I've added labels, and also played around some more with the border. Trying to keep it softer apparently didn't work, so I've hardened the edges a bit. Hope it's better now.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greylandia Cornelia Yoder D.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	75040

Comments of course are very welcome!

This is looking really nice. The labelling really sets it off. Fantastic job!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

That looks great, the border is much better. This really looks like it belongs in a book.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    That looks great, the border is much better. This really looks like it belongs in a book.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    This is looking really nice. The labelling really sets it off. Fantastic job!
    Thank you both very kindly!

Yep, that did it. Excellent work on this, chick! Also, I am curious as to what made the academies all spread out over the land. I often see them all in one place, such as a capital city. Did you have an idea for that?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Yep, that did it. Excellent work on this, chick! Also, I am curious as to what made the academies all spread out over the land. I often see them all in one place, such as a capital city. Did you have an idea for that?
    Where the best teachers are and where the terrain or territory is suitable for training -- hunting at the edge of forest and plains, military in an area with a lot of varied terrains, thievery where it's very isolated and secret, magic where there is plenty of privacy and major mistakes wouldn't destroy an entire city, stoneworking in the mountains where there is lots of varied stone and ore for metals, things like that.

Banned User

I've added a few minor tweaks, including making the Legend text a bit smaller and renaming some of the Academies. Nothing major, just nits I noticed.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greylandia Cornelia Yoder F.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	75100

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

This is a great map! The mountains especially look great.

I'm not sold on the decorative border; although it would probably look fine in a typical mass-market paperback, at this size it just looks too blurry and 'off' compared to the rest.

Really nice map love the coastlines and rivers (a lot). The forest outline might be a little thick compared to other elements. The type dominates, could all the text be a couple point sizes smaller. Nice job.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    This is a great map! The mountains especially look great.

I'm not sold on the decorative border; although it would probably look fine in a typical mass-market paperback, at this size it just looks too blurry and 'off' compared to the rest.
    Diamond, you likely remember how much I have struggled to learn to make mountains look like mountains and not inverted V's, so this compliment from someone as accomplished as you really means a whole lot to me!! Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Really nice map love the coastlines and rivers (a lot). The forest outline might be a little thick compared to other elements. The type dominates, could all the text be a couple point sizes smaller. Nice job.
    Snodsy, thank you so much for the compliment on the coastlines and rivers. I've really worked hard to get some realistic look to both, and it really makes me feel good that someone actually likes them As for the text, I may try a smaller size and see what it looks like, but for printing in a book, you don't get to see this at the size you are looking here, so I'm not sure that smaller text would work very well on the size of a printed paperback page. Also, there is a tiny bit of drop shadow on the bottom edges of the forests, is that what you are seeing? The basic forest outline is the same pixel size as the coastlines.
    Last edited by Chick; 08-08-2015 at 05:24 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast