Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: July / Aug 15 Lite Challenge: Greylandia

Banned User

Default July / Aug 15 Lite Challenge: Greylandia

Guess I should get in on this one, too. It gives me a chance to try a couple of new things I've been meaning to experiment with. So here is my starting land. Comments welcome!

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greylandia Cornelia Yoder A.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	827.0 KB 
ID:	74967

Looking good Chick! I like the border, but it looks kind of pixelated when viewed at the larger size.

Banned User

Added some mountains and forests, plus I'm trying some of that "ground clutter" that I see people using. Not at all sure if I like it since it serves no purpose but to clutter the open spaces, but figured this was a good place to try it and get comments.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Greylandia Cornelia Yoder B.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	74982

My plan now is to add some hills around the mountain fringes, then towns and labels.
    Last edited by Chick; 07-28-2015 at 07:59 AM.

That's looking pretty good, chick, and I love the mountains and that border too, though it's not as clean around the edges as the rest of your map. I know it's small though, so it probably doesn't matter much. I'm not so sure about the clutter, as you call it quite accurately in my opinion; it's not bad, really, but I think it may end up sort of confusing as my eyes want to read it kind of like hills but the lines don't have quite that logical of a layout, or the orientation in some places. All in all it's turning into a pretty good map, though, and I look forward to seeing it with the rest of your plans finished.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Nice update, the forests look very good and the mountains are great. The ground clutter is a little distracting, I think maybe better without it.
    The border only looks pixilated at full magnification. I would look fine at the size needed for printing in a book.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    ... The ground clutter is a little distracting, I think maybe better without it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    ...I'm not so sure about the clutter, as you call it quite accurately in my opinion; it's not bad, really, but I think it may end up sort of confusing as my eyes want to read it kind of like hills but the lines don't have quite that logical of a layout, or the orientation in some places...
    Good! Because I don't much like it myself. I wanted to try it out, since I see some maps that are full of it getting a lot of praise, but to me it looks like the artist didn't know what else to do with the space. So ... bye bye clutter except that I think it helps with the continuity between the mountains and hills, so I'll keep some of it there.

Thanks for the opinions, and the compliments, both!

Banned User

Added the hills, and to help the continuity between the hills and the mountains, I kept the "clutter" around that part. It seems to draw them together much better than without it.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Greylandia Cornelia Yoder C.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	74995

Agreed, a little clutter in the right places is good.

This is looking really nice and your mountains are fab! I have just a couple of small things to mention:

First point is about the border and how it looks compared to the other elements on the page. For instance, when I look at the top of the map, your title and compass are crisp and very black. The border looks a little grey and slightly fuzzy next to them. It's not a big deal if you prefer it that way, but I feel the contrast between the sharp edges of the text/compass/scale does draw attention to the less sharp border.

The only other thing I noticed is the bit down from the compass and to the left of the mountains, just under the forest. Is that another chasm like the one you have further right, or is it cliffs? It's not completely clear to me. At first I thought it was cliffs, then I noticed the other chasm (which looks great, BTW) and wondered if this was meant to be a chasm too. You might still be working on that part, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

But overall, it's looking great! Any backstory behind it?
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    This is looking really nice and your mountains are fab! ....
    That may be the first time in the history of the world that anyone thought my mountains were fab Thank you so much! In fact, the credit should go to Deadshade and THW and Torstan's tutorials and some others who really helped me learn how to do them.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast