Thread: How to create island shapes using MS Paint

Guild Applicant

Default How to create island shapes using MS Paint

Hello everyone, I'm a new user here.

Just like the title says, I'd like to show you this tutorial I made on how to make island shapes with Paint. I know it's not the best program around but i devised the method in the tutorial on it and haven't tested it in other software.

The tutorial is there in the attachments, but I'd like to share a little back story.

Back in 2008, I was fooling around with Paint, testing the different tools (I had already made some good drawings relying solely on lines). Using the Airbrush Tool, I increased the size of the brush quite a bit and started moving it around, applying it through a general area. After that, for reasons I don't remember anymore, I used the Fill tool with color black on the outside of the sprayed area, and came up with something that looked like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Random Shapes.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	291.1 KB 
ID:	74975

I thought the result was pretty cool so I saved the image above and left it be for a while.

After some time, I returned to the idea and tried to make a landmass similar to that of England. After some painting of the initial white image and Filling the white space with blue instead of black, this was the result:

Name:	Continente (Mapa).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	257.5 KB 
ID:	74976
    After that, I further edited the original image without the text and added it some depth using photoshop.

Name:	Continente v2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	74977
    I think it looks pretty good, I made it in 2009.

Now, sometime ago I discovered this site and saw all the wonderful work posted. I remembered those images I made and thought: If someone out there could find this interesting, it would be the users of this site.

So there you have it. I Hope you find the tutorial helpful.
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Any feedback on the method or the quality of the finished pictures is welcome as well.

P.D: If the post came out too image heavy I can remove them. They are all already on the tutorial except the first one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tutorial Island Shape.pdf  

First off, welcome to the Guild Daniel, and kudos to you for offering the Guild a tutorial in your first post. This is an interesting technique. I'm not familiar with MS paint and can't offer and constructive criticism about your process though.