Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lyonlil, Map Commission

Default Lyonlil, Map Commission

A map I was commissioned to do for Cyberspark.

It is my original design with a few specific criteria from Cyberspark. There are two maps of the same land with a few 1,000 years difference and a little destruction (which was fun). It's for a pathfinder game set in a fantasy type world.

Done in photoshop.

Please feel free to give any criticism, comments, or suggestions. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LYONLIL.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	4.71 MB 
ID:	74984

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

I love the many different location icons and the subtle coloring! Nice map.

Too bad if you ever owned land north of Barlent in earlier years. Also am I right in assuming a slight rise in sea levels?

Great work by the way.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

The woods look a little flat, but I cannot decide just why. Maybe the treetrunks are a little to high for the scale of the map.

But those cities! All those beautiful cities! This is SO AWESOME!

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Yeah, the woods do look more like plateaus with cliffs rather than forests.

I like the light illustrative style - it feels hand drawn, like an illustration in the front of a dusty fantasy novel. It has a feeling of being authentically old, or at least handed down to the next generation.

I read the woods as woods, but I can see what people mean about the flat/plateau look. Maybe just a bit fluffier edges. I'd also say maybe a touch more green so they read more as trees, but that might wreck your lovely light color palette, and it's better if the read as trees even in black and white if possible.

I like the comparison of the two - it reminds me of a "spot the difference" game The differences also tell a story (are those meteor craters in the west?)

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I really like the way you did the craters - those scalloped edges really sell it. Love that collapsed castle!

Very nice map, that would be a good entry in the lite challenge we are doing right now.

I really like these "over time" maps, and this one is great. The detail with the shoreline changes is nice!

Thanks you all so much for all the positive feedback!

Wired thanks so much! I like the way that the color turned out too and the cities were a lot of fun to draw!

I wouldn't want to own that land either Larb. I tried to make it seem like there was a rise in sea water as well as several floods. Thanks for your comment!

Freodin, I can see what you mean by the forests looking a little flat, it's partly because of the style I have here and I think that the trunks might be a little uniform? I'm really happy you liked the cities though Thanks for your insight!

Protopop, I love that you think it looks authentically old I also used to love the spot the difference game and I'm glad it made you think of that. Yes they are craters in the west.

Thanks Diamond! I was really happy with how the craters turned out and it's nice to know that it's not just my brain telling me what I want to hear

Bogie, if only I had more time this month (or the past few months) I would participate in the challenges. Hopefully I can be more involved during the later months of this year. Thanks for the comment on the map though, I'm happy you like it!

Jayharchitect, Thanks so much for your comment! it's nice to know the details I added didn't go unnoticed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast