Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] First ever map creation! Only slight proud.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default [WIP] First ever map creation! Only slight proud.

Not 100% sure this is the correct forum.

I wanted to post my first ever map I've ever made. I discovered Tear's tutorial a few weeks ago, and have been messing around ever since. I used my friend's D&D game as a first-try. I'd love to hear what people think. I know the trees and grasslands are messed up, I can't get them to appear right. >.<

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ayroth-v2.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	501.2 KB 
ID:	74990

One thing I'd love to figure out is a texture or overlay or something I've seen on some maps, where it's part art, part compass...I also can't find an example, apparently. Wth...

Also need to find a decent looking thing to use as a scale.

Banned User

Hello Richard, Welcome to the Guild!

In addition to the one you found, there is a great tutorial in the sticky section of Tutorials, called Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4276

From there, go to Hand Drawn Mapping for the Artistically Challenged: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=10655

Once you have completed those two tutorials, you'll be well on your way!!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Why only slightly proud? You've used your brain to make something that's never existed before. You've created! You've breathed life into dead pixels! Plus, it's not a bad map at all.

If you're looking for textures, or parchment-type overlays, or scale markers, compasses, etc, there are scads of free ones on the interwebs. Just make sure you've looked at any licensing for it before you use it, and make sure it's okay to use.

And have some rep for your map!

Bravo Richard! That is an incredible start. If you can't find exactly the texture you want, and you have a scanner, just take an old bit of paper, rough it up, and scan it. Excited to see where you go with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayharchitect View Post
    Bravo Richard! That is an incredible start. If you can't find exactly the texture you want, and you have a scanner, just take an old bit of paper, rough it up, and scan it. Excited to see where you go with this.

Name:	Ayroth-v4-Named.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	530.6 KB 
ID:	75042

Here's what I've gotten so far. I just messed with Photoshop to make a quick compass rose. Not exactly happy with it, but it doesn't look that bad. I found one I really like, but don't want to steal it from the person that posted it on Deviantart. I also added all the cities and such; hopefully they all are legible and such.

EDIT: Also. For some reason I can't figure out, my Photoshop refuses to type in the correct direction. I try to type "10 miles" into the text box, and it will only type on "miles 10", and it's driving me up a wall. I've been searching all the forums for Adobe, but haven't found anything that fixes it yet.

EDIT EDIT: Got it. Bloody thing...
    Last edited by Richard Meyer; 07-30-2015 at 11:17 PM.

Banned User

You may find this useful: http://www.dafont.com/pr-compass-rose.font

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    That is amazing. Thank you.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

RPGMapmaker has an awesome thread of free stuff also: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=26851

I think the white around the font is a bit too intense. Also, depending on the final size you plan on printing this at, the font is probably much too large. Shrinking it down would show off your nice landmass!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayharchitect View Post
    I think the white around the font is a bit too intense. Also, depending on the final size you plan on printing this at, the font is probably much too large. Shrinking it down would show off your nice landmass!
    One thing I really wanted to do was make a new version with what I've learned so far, that's considerably bigger and more detailed, but I may not, since the game is going to be ending soon anyway. Do you think that I should reduce the stroke around the text, or remove it entirely? The final print size is 9' x 9' at the moment, for this version (I work at a print shop, so, if this were my world, I'd be making it 24' x 36', but it's unlikely, since the DM for the game is REALLY LAZY, GREG!).

I'm feeling ambitious, though, so I might go for a full world map, once I can come up with naming conventions for the lands/cities/rivers, etc. I'm teri-bad at that.

EDIT: I suppose I should also put up the current version...

Name:	Ayroth-v4-Named-large.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	708.5 KB 
ID:	75177

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast