Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-5.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	6996

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    yer right .. masks are fun
    No they aren't; masks are vile, evil, diabolical things invented by S.M.U.R.F. (Satanic Midgets United to Ruin Fun) and put in graphical software packages to confuse people like me!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm with you SG, I couldn't use a mask to save my life. I do it the opposite way...draw out a shape, distort/blur/whatever and put a pattern on it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    No they aren't; masks are vile, evil, diabolical things invented by S.M.U.R.F. (Satanic Midgets United to Ruin Fun) and put in graphical software packages to confuse people like me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I'm with you SG, I couldn't use a mask to save my life. I do it the opposite way...draw out a shape, distort/blur/whatever and put a pattern on it.
    And THAT is exactly why I shall attempt to demystify layer masks(at least as much as I know) in a tutorial which I shall write tomorrow. I would be working on it tonight (normal Friday night spent watching recorded TV shows and posting while my wife spends time with our son), but he is away and the wifey and I are going to the comedy club!

Hopefully, I can at least do justice and make it where everyone loves layer masks also! Once you learn layer masks, you will never do it the other way again!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hello, Rob and anyone else who could help.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I think the water and rocks are both standard Gimp textures. Zip over to one of the texture sites and replace with some nice photographed seamless textures and you have a winner!

-Rob A>
    Would you mind pointing me to either a thread or provide URLs for some of the "texture sites" to which you are referring?

I would be most grateful.

Thanks.

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    Hello, Rob and anyone else who could help.

Would you mind pointing me to either a thread or provide URLs for some of the "texture sites" to which you are referring?

I would be most grateful.

Thanks.

Regards,

Gary
    Sure... there are some links in the Mapping Elements forum. A lot of people use some from cgtextures.com(warning, there is a download limit per day unless you sign up (paid I think) AND most of their textures are not seamless, so you have to make seamless your self) and they are pretty high res images.

Also, as pointed out, this thread used textures from the CSUAC which is a complilation of stuff found on Dunjinni forums. It can be located here. They are free, but you have to sign up for an account. Also, there are sevearl seperate categories for images (creatures, vegitation, texture fills, etc) and each category having one or more download files which are 20-60 MB each. The one for Fractal Mapper is probably the best to get as the Dunjinni one is in a propritary format and the CC one has multiples of various sizes to fit CC's scaling model (perhaps what you want??)

Also, RPGMapshare has tons of stuff... but I don't know how much they have in the way of texture fills...worth checking out though..
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12