Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Creek thing

Post Some Creek thing

So.. I was just screwing around in GIMP working with Masks (and dodge/burn) and ended up making something I thought was kind of neat. Not really going to do much(I really mean any) more with this than what I have done, but hopefully, someone can find some use out of it.

Joe

EDIT: added a version without the grid....

EDIT 2: grrrrr... I am such a dufus. Contrary to what I say below, the textures used are NOT stock GIMP textures. Rather they are from the CSUAC. Sorry for any confusion!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Some Creek.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	6960   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Some Creek No Grid.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	6963  
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 10-14-2008 at 10:15 PM.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I like the vegetation a lot. The rocky shores and water look too "clipart" for me (especially compared with the vegetation - this is just not my taste). The overall layout of the creek is cool, it looks natural.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I think the water and rocks are both standard Gimp textures. Zip over to one of the texture sites and replace with some nice photographed seamless textures and you have a winner!

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    I like the vegetation a lot. The rocky shores and water look too "clipart" for me (especially compared with the vegetation - this is just not my taste). The overall layout of the creek is cool, it looks natural.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I think the water and rocks are both standard Gimp textures. Zip over to one of the texture sites and replace with some nice photographed seamless textures and you have a winner!
    It's ALL standard GIMP textures. Like I said, I was playing with a technique and just threw this down. The only thing I "painted" on this was the burn/dodge(which is by no means perfect) on a copy of the rock layer. Everything else is a texture layer with well sculpted layermask(which is the technique part I have been playing with in the first place). I just did not want to spend the time to find something a bit more pretty for the water part. I DO like the rocky part though... End result, not counting the burn/dodge, if I wanted to recreate this, the whole thing would take about 3 minutes, which is kind of the goal of the hour or so of playing around in trying to figure out best practices and such. I think I am going to do a short Layer Mask tutorial if there is not one already on the site.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I know you said this was mostly an experiment in "masking", but except for the patterning on the water (I didn't notice it as much on the rocks) I think this is pretty cool. The vegetation is especially good.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Ok.. got rid of the bogus water texture. Made my own. Changed the shadows/highlights to be it's own layer in case I decide to swap out the rock texture at some later time. I guess positive feedback really helps motivate people, so I ended up deciding to tweak it.

Hope ya'll like the changes.

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Some Creek No Grid.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	6982  
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Ooh, I like it! Now that you changed the water texture the rocky shore texture doesn't bother me anymore and it all looks really natural. Great job (especially because this map didn't take much time to create).
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 10-10-2008 at 06:50 AM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I was trying your technique out ... this of course is the first test run ... at least I can tell it's supposed to be a river.. lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	6992

Cool.... a much more painterly style, but good example. I particularly like whatever you used for the reeds/cattails on the edge of the water. Very nice.

And the cool thing is that you can swap out a color or texture with something else and the picture remains the exact same except for the one element you changed. Masks are cool! Masks are fun! I love masks!
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

ok.. here's the other one I did...
    yer right .. masks are fun

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.2jpg.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	6995

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast