Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Kingdoms of Britannia

Map The Kingdoms of Britannia

Hi, I'd be very grateful for any feedback/suggestions on this (my first) map. It's for an alternate history novel I've been working on for some time. It's intended to be a Victorian era map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brittania.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	75030

Very clean and a nice style. Very good for first map.

Banned User

Hello David, welcome to the Guild! That's a really nice job, especially for a first map! Hope to see more from you soon

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Nice map and an interesting take on an AH theme.

Thank you for your kind and welcoming words guys. I've already learned a lot from reading through these threads and from the work of you and others here. My next map is going to be a more detailed map of the east coast area of Anglia where much of the story is set. I'm not sure yet what style this should be. Whether I should continue in a similar fashion or try a different technique altogether. I was particularly impressed with some of your regional maps Sapiento although obviously I need to maintain the Victorian/19th Century look. Anyway thanks again for being so welcoming.

David

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Welcome! I like the simple look of this. It makes me think of maps I would fold out from an old guidebook.

Lovely map, now I'm curious to what the story is like ;P

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Lovely map, now I'm curious to what the story is like ;P
    Daniel, it's going to be a while until it's finished but I will be posting the first chapter on my website in the not too distant future. it's steampunk. Imagine three changes. One, the land between Britain and Europe did not completely disappear - Doggerland. Two, King Alfred did not suceed in uniting England and three Henry VIII did not exist and therefore The Kingdome of Britian did not break from Rome. This is the world where my story takes place. I've been building this world and the story for many years. I don't know if it's any good but I've very much enjoyed doing it.

This is great. I think you are landing the look and feel very well. I'm interested in seeing a title block with a nice scale and compass rose to help finish out the look. I'm also curious at the story... Why is it still Victorian style in 1977? I'm interested in your premise for the world, definitely! ( I would be interested in how that would impact the colonial world... America, Africa as well)

Ok so I've been working on this. I've added a title block, compass rose etc. Aged it some. I've also added a little ochre glow to the lettering so that it looks like the ink has bled a little into the paper. I'm not sure if I've over cooked the whole thing but would be interested in your thoughts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	britannia6.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	75117
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	britannia4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	75110  
    Last edited by davidmcnorton; 08-03-2015 at 04:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast