Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remnethos - A Shattered World

Map Remnethos - A Shattered World

Hello all! I guess I should go on and mention that this is my first post in ANY thread so if I inadvertently write a wall of text and it isn't a fun read, I'm sorry!
    So about a year ago, an idea struck me for a fantasy world, and over the course of that time, along with many tears and sleepless nights, I've solidified a great foundation for a fantasy epic that I do intend to explore. But, before I could go on to writing whatever, a map was needed.

I present to you, Remnethos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Remnethos_300.png 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	75132

I traced the world over 25 pieces of paper, made a collage out of them, then traced over THAT in illustrator.
    I'm 99% sure that there was a better way to do it but I lack the hardware and general skill to do it directly on the computer-a problem i'm looking into.

If any of you who read are interested in more, I'll post the collage and even give out some summaries of what is where, and some lore.

That is to say, these illustrations are my intellectual property and all rights to it are reserved to me. Sounds kinda dickish, I know, but when it's your biggest aspiration, I don't want to mess this up.

Thank you all!
    Last edited by Higgal; 08-04-2015 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Picture was too big, crashing the browser

Banned User

Very nice start! And welcome to the Guild!!

I'd be interested in hearing more about your method. Lost of interesting things to look at on this map. Can't wait to see more of it.

Awesome job! Isn't it awesome how much lore and backstory fill in when you map your world? I learned mapping through YouTube tutorials, and it's amazing how much you can pick up.

I would describe my method as:
    The map IS the story.

When you evolve an idea of a story and keep wrapping layers of plot and history around this core, the face of the world changes with it. Which is why, after a year or so of having drawn maps that never quite felt right, I sat down and began writing down the history of the world, and from that came the instincts of: "Yeah there should be clusters of islands here, and a mountain there."

Name:	Remnethos_hand.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	75135

So I went and drawn shapes and lines; I wanted it incredibly detailed so that once I trace over with anchors that I get a more natural look to it.
    And I mean, only about 6 months ago my map was a single continent with a very different story attached to it:

Name:	Ashenlands.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	75136

And it's crazy what kind of a difference it makes when you figure out exactly what it is you want in your world and let it form into shapes and land.

The map IS the story.

I really like the first one of your last post. The linework is clear and very well done. And yeah, most maps are conveying a story, no doubt .

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I really like the first one of your last post. The linework is clear and very well done. And yeah, most maps are conveying a story, no doubt .
    Well that was the hand-drawn version of the trace (very first picture)
    What I failed to find is a way to represent the mountains in an aestheticaly pleasing way, so that's why I'm working towards re-drawing the map with the ASOIAF world map style (or similar)

You have some interesting land forms there, but your waterways show some unnatural behavior. You would do well to read http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3822. You are already doing better than many beginners, but you have river splitting and coast-to-coast rivers. You could improve an already very nice start by fixing these issues while still early in the progress of this map.

Those are some interesting land masses, and I also like the hand drawn piece on paper you shared. I am going to enjoy watching this one progress. It has a great feel to it already.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Banned User

I second rdanhenry on the rivers, and I also would like to point out that your mountain ranges are pretty much impossible in the real world. Mountains don't occur in circular ranges

There is a thread here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=30156 that you might also read. It talks about many of the geographical mistakes that cartographers make when first learning. The first post summarizes the topics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast