Thread: First Map :)

Wip First Map :)

Okay well I just downloaded Gimp and started trying to get used to my tablet and thought this little land mass would be a good way to start. No where near completion just yet but thought I would go ahead and put it out to see if anyone can give me some tips along the way.

Not going for color effects just yet trying to keep it simple, just plain black and white for now. So any advice or tips at this point would be great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Large Island1b.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	7009  

Quote Originally Posted by Pallamadarius View Post
    Okay well I just downloaded Gimp and started trying to get used to my tablet and thought this little land mass would be a good way to start. No where near completion just yet but thought I would go ahead and put it out to see if anyone can give me some tips along the way.

Not going for color effects just yet trying to keep it simple, just plain black and white for now. So any advice or tips at this point would be great.
    Nice start.. I like the shape of the hills... but the mountains are to pointy(you could leave a few of them pointy... but most should probably be closer to around an 80 degree or so angle.

If you plan to do B/W, I would suggest some more visual distinction on your water areas... I would not tell without your description. Some things you might try would be some simple waves or perhaps a woodcut effect on the parts tht should be water... The outline of the shore is kind of cool though.

One tip as you learn GIMP..... learn to use layers, lots of layers and learn to use layer masks on layers as you need them. I hope to post up a tutorial on layer masks tomorrow night so good time to pick up GIMP. Oh, and the tablet is a good buy. It will help you tons and if you are ever without it... you will be crying if trying to make a map.... Just ask Del... I thought we would have pitch in and send him some tissues while he was waiting on his new tablet to come in.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Oh yea.... go through all of RobA's tutorials for GIMP asap... and practice that stuff..
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the feedback. Yea Del told me about some of his tutorials I've got one of em downloaded but still haven't really gone through it a whole lot yet. Probably will though before I go any further on my map. I'll keep it updated as I go. And thanks again really appreciate the input.

It looks good so far. The mountain symbols look very familiar Maybe from CC3?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Well when you use CC2 for so long lol. This is my first venture into mapping on a PC without actually using Campaign Cartographer. So may see some simliarities here and there