Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Inhabitants of the world. Any need for illustrations?

Ok. so after Picking up my jaw off the ground... all I have to say is WOW. As SG already stated. VTT's are virtual table tops. Made original so that people who were not in the same room could still play together and see the same Map and using tokens (such as the one you made in the last post as a virtual miniature on the software. Redrobes on this forum actually wrote ViewingDale. Likewise, Trevor wrote Maptool
    OpenRPG, Battlegrounds, and several others on the market. They range from free to pay for GM only to play for each copy and each has their own strenghts and weaknesses.

As for the token, SWEET. The only thing I would say to make it better would be that most people using top down tokens have the resolution set to 100,150, or 200 px per inch for good zooming in, and most top downs expect stuff not part of the body/clothing/gear to be transparent png. You can take a quick look over at fouruglymonsters.com or rpgmapshare.com for a few other examples. Also, FYI, you could make a bit of side money producing portraits and tokens of this quality. Of course, if you give them away for free, that will not hurt my feelings any!!!!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I've added Bernold to the Wiki. The link is on the Overview page as Aldamar's Arbitrators, under the Organisations section.

The page: http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/i...le=Arbitrators
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Blog Entries

Wow (wheres that eye popping emoticon when you need it). I mean just wow. How do you do that ? So you use poser and then have some technique to get it into something you color up ? Is that it ? Do you trace out the 3D model with a pen or get some technique to get you part way there. You gotta shine some light on that process.

I got a new head model I could try to use to do the same (in a halfassed kind of way) if only I knew how.

Oh yes... VTTs - you should play with them sometime. But the top down view is awesome. You can play with the figure on the map and have the front view on the character sheet for all to see what he looks like. Its perfect. Im not on my regular PC tonight but I will ensure that he gets some images and coverage in the fens.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 10-13-2008 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Yes, very nice. Ahem ...... Wiki Editors........

Torq
    On it...

-IG

Thanks IG. Very nice edit by the way.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

is it cell shading with post processing?
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected 12rounds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    The only thing I would say to make it better would be that most people using top down tokens have the resolution set to 100,150, or 200 px per inch for good zooming in, and most top downs expect stuff not part of the body/clothing/gear to be transparent png. You can take a quick look over at fouruglymonsters.com or rpgmapshare.com for a few other examples.
    I'll make a note of that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Also, FYI, you could make a bit of side money producing portraits and tokens of this quality. Of course, if you give them away for free, that will not hurt my feelings any!!!!
    Hmm... well so far it's only been nickles and dimes really. There are so many talented illustrators out there and I know many industry professionals have issues with 3D work. I have a well-paying day job as a Java programmer and do these illustrations in my spare time. Of course doing paid commission work would indeed be welcome, there's no denying that, but I've not actively pursued it (apart from having sold a few copies of character collections years ago and never receiving replies to inquiries sent over to a dozen or so gaming houses).

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    How do you do that ? So you use poser and then have some technique to get it into something you color up ? Is that it ? Do you trace out the 3D model with a pen or get some technique to get you part way there. You gotta shine some light on that process.
    I first device a concept (on paper usually), then see if I can accomplish that without modelling and retexturing. Usually I can't so it's quite common to first retexture and morph models before I even start.

Setting up things in Poser and once happy in the overall composition then I apply a set of some rather complex shader nodes. Nowadays it just takes two to three render passes to get me where I want to. Then in Photoshop I blend the renders together and just paint over on the blended composite. I started refining this process years ago so all I can say it just takes a lot of practise. About 1/3 of total time is spent in 3D and 2/3 in 2D (Gimp, Photoshop). I also do minor modelling (morphs and small items) in Blender or Wings. It's fairly common for me to just paint whole costumes or other details too if I judge it's easier to do that way. I've been using a Wacom tablet for the past 6 years - I wouldn't even dream of doing anything like this with a plain 'ol mouse. It takes anywhere between 2-5 hours per image.

Oh yes... VTTs - you should play with them sometime.
    Yea. I've been a traditional table-top player since mid-80's and I guess since I have a regular group, there's never been a need to get into virtual gaming in the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    is it cell shading with post processing?
    More or less so as explained above.
    Last edited by 12rounds; 10-14-2008 at 02:49 AM.

The going rate for things like this is $2-$5 for 20-30 tokens, or something along those lines. If you were to create similar creatures in a set, I expect you could probably bang them out around 3 hours each on average. 20 figures x 3 hours each = 60 hours / $3 a pack and you would just need to sell 30 packs to make $20 per hour. For this quality, I would certainly pay a couple of bucks for 20 tokens(though probably over a 2-3 months time)

I know for me, I would love to have a good number (30 or so each) tokens of Orcs, Goblins, Kobolds, Elves, Dwarfs, halflings, etc. In most cases, you might find around 5 good ones of the monster races and I personally would like a bit more variety(since I tend to like larger scale battles)

As for VTT's if you have a projector, large screen TV, or every player has a computer/laptop at the table, using a VTT can bring some great new features to your play. For example, when everyone uses a computer, most VTT's offer independent views for the assigned token owner. What that means is Thark(played by Billy) goes around a corner by himself while Seth(Played by Jim) stays a few feet from the corner. With many VTT's, Billy will "see" several orcs on his version of the map while Jim will not because the VTT handles actual line of site issues as if it were a real person (but from a top down perpective of course!) Also, many VTT's offer some type of dice rolling or even macro creation so you can automate any complicated formulas. This part drastically speeds up play IMO. I have seen the same battle run live in "normal" face to face and the same battle run in a VTT and the VTT one lasted 1/3 of the time (and was just as exciting). Granted, there were different players, but the characters were pretty much the same types/rolls between the two sessions. Not having to think about adding up bonus x/penlaty y, etc can speed the game up. Even when I play in our face to face group, I play diceless now and rarely take more than 5 seconds to report my action and results to the GM, while several others using dice typically take 30 seconds or more. This does not count when a player fumbles dice and has to reroll. Full Disclosure: One of our biggest holdups in our face to face game is one player who does not pay attention AND tends to ask all sorts of dumb questions during his turn AND is a rules lawyer. We even had to have the GM implment a shot clock just because of this player. So, this may taint my experiences.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 12rounds View Post
    Yea. I've been a traditional table-top player since mid-80's and I guess since I have a regular group, there's never been a need to get into virtual gaming in the net.
    You would find that with your skills with the pen tablet that your game would be much improved even when playing face to face around the table if you had a display to show your players. You avoid endless amounts of "So where am I again ?" and "Can I see around the corner from where I am ?" and the eternal "But I thought my character was well away from those explosive runes...".

Heres a few seconds of movie for you - just about 5Mb worth to get the flavour of it.

It shows how you can play with your token and link it to a piccy of him and web sites or other docs. No need to dig out the books or wonder where you put that pic / handout etc.

Given that you do about 1/3 of the work in 3D app anyway you have the top down view nearly done. The top down token for VTTs are a boon. You can draw the shield top down too and then attach it to the character token too. Obviously that goes as well for weapons, hats and any number of other things that are optional extras for the character.

I should have put these into the move but I have another which shows that better.

If you have any trouble viewing the movies then try VLC though media player should work just fine.

Post OT question

You would find that with your skills with the pen tablet that your game would be much improved even when playing face to face around the table if you had a display to show your players. You avoid endless amounts of "So where am I again ?" and "Can I see around the corner from where I am ?" and the eternal "But I thought my character was well away from those explosive runes...".

Heres a few seconds of movie for you - just about 5Mb worth to get the flavour of it.
    Sorry this is a OT, but whats a good "free" conversion program from AVI to some type of easily viewable video format, specifically one that reduces the size quite a bit from the original AVI? I have some videos I want to post to the web, but they are AVI's and thus huge and I don't ahve the much space to post the original AVI files. Likewise, I want to do a few short tutorials in CamStudio and shrink the file sizes some.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast