Thread: Dota 2 Game Map

Map Dota 2 Game Map

Project Scope
    Artistic rendering of the Dota 2 game map in an old school style a la Skyrim. The goal of this piece is to be wall art. It is the beginning of a collection that I hope to commission over the years.

Style:

Beyond the noted style above, I am looking for a highly detailed piece (i.e., if you look at the trees surrounding the edge of the map there are actually paths in those [not shown in the example].) However, I am willing to discuss how absurd I am and what can be left out, etc. I would like minimal color but color will be necessary to separate the sides of the map divided by the river (similar to sample).

My extreme preference would be hand-drawn on a physical medium (graphite, drawing pens, etc. up to the artist). However, I have no idea how rare such an artist is around here. From what I've seen, most of you work on the computer. Therefore, I am open to a computer render but it would need to appear hand-drawn.

Quality and Size:

• Hand Drawn: A3?
    • Computer Render: I would probably print an A3 size so it would need to be able to at least handle that. However, from my perspective, one of the pros of computer generation is the ability to go big or small on prints so I would prefer it to handle larger prints or smaller ones.
    • I am indifferent to whether you are a professional or not. I'm simply looking for quality which, in my opinion, is most apparent through your portfolio, not your time in the field or whether it's your career or not.

TL;DR
    I'm looking for a highly-detailed, artistic version of the above referenced Dota 2 map. I can provide significantly more detail once we decided what is acceptable. This is going to be the first piece of art in my office and, hopefully, the beginning to a collection.

Time Constraints
    None. Obviously, I would like to have it sooner rather than later but I currently don't have it and don't need it for anything commercial, waiting a few more months won't kill me.

Copyright
    I would prefer to hold unrestricted reproduction rights to the piece with royalties [TBD with artist input] payable on each (if any) sale. Therefore, I would be able to sell copies of the piece if I so choose without asking for permission. However, I would also be liable to pay a predetermined royalty on every sale. I currently have no intention to market the piece in any way but would like to be able to do so in the future if I so choose. The artist would retain complete rights as well. (This is not a deal breaker on my end by any means. Again, I don't know how ridiculous I sound so tell me.)

I would prefer that no legal marking be on the actual piece itself. If hand drawn on a physical medium, a legal marking on the back would be fine. If computer drawn, a legal marking off the piece would be preferable. However, under both circumstances, I would like to you sign your name to the piece noting yourself as the cartographer (similar to bottom left on the Skyrim map above). If you are comfortable with it, I would prefer your real name. If not, please use a realistic pseudonym and not a handle.

Payment
    Negotiable depending on the level of complexity and medium used (physical vs. electronic). I am willing to pay for a great piece but I'm not wealthy. I am comfortable with the prices I've seen on other pieces.

Contact Details
    Mark Thayer
    mthayer90 [at] gmail [dot] com
    Please use the subject line Dota 2 Map
    Last edited by Redfhendrix; 08-12-2015 at 12:57 PM.