Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finished Hand Drawn Map of Aeglandhorr (size A0)

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Map Finished Hand Drawn Map of Aeglandhorr (size A0)

This map, is the most abused map I have, or that I have ever heard of even. Not including any that perished at the hands of the Nazi’s, Mongols, Huns, Vandals, arsonists etc.

My very first map was a copy of Middle Earth and the Undying Lands that I found in ‘the Tolkien Bestiary’ when I was 14. I straight away decided to do my own imaginary world on the back. This picture is a close up of part of that imaginary world that I did many years later on a huge sheet (A0 size) of mounting board. Hence, when rolled it is about ten inches across! This was in 1992-4. I then laminated it as I was moving from Australia to Britain and I wanted it protecting. It had its own huge cylinder and when after many weeks my belongings arrived by sea in the UK, the map was missing! After many phone calls and two months it turned up in some warehouse and was sent on to me. To my horror, I found that some of the laminate had been pulled off along with the surface layer of the card leaving a triangular stretch of rough textured, faded map!

To restore it to it’s former glory, I had to pull off the rest of the laminate! Virtually destroying the map in the process. It was like a ghost map! Then I went over every single line and dot in the original colours. It took months. If a forest circle was elongated in a certain direction, I had to draw another one exactly the same over the top. Though no doubt a magnifying glass might show a slight bit of divergence. Since then, the map has been behind my Mum’s bookshelf for nearly 20 years. The glue left behind by the laminate has turned yellow and when i pulled it out to get scanned last week, it was covered in old cobwebs. The guy at the printers who did the scan said to me, when I mentioned the cobwebs,’I’ll give it a good clean, don’t worry about that. I’ll take good care of it, I know it’s your baby.’

So here it is. I hope you enjoy it. Bear in mind that the names were done by a teenager. So some of them reflect my favourite TV programs at the time etc. For instance, on the eastern side of the map along the large river are ‘Cradlop’s Arrows’. ‘Cradlop is ‘Poldark’ backwards!
    I also committed an act of mapmaking blasphemy! I have two large rivers coming from the same source. Selipuk Gampa North (flowing west to Venca on the coast)and the Selipuk Gampa South (flowing south west to the Sogne Fjord - sorry Norway!) both come from the Great Lake. Not obvious from the map but it can be inferred from the two identical river names. This doesn’t happen on Earth, or anywhere in reality. Erosion rates at the outlet of the lake would differ ending up with one branch drying up. BUT NOT HERE! There are two bars of magical bronze maintained by the god’s for the very purpose of having one source dividing into two rivers. If we can have Vladimir Putin as Russian president in reality, how can you argue against weird divine geographical features in a fantasy world?

pen and coloured pencil 92 x 67cm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stoorisven Coast (2900x2151).jpg 
Views:	783 
Size:	4.68 MB 
ID:	75325  
    Last edited by Konraw; 08-14-2015 at 06:22 PM. Reason: found out a bit late that i'm not allowed to advertise things for sale

That...

...what...?

How....????

Sorry, speechless.

Wow, just wow!

Banned User

Great work, Konraw! That must have taken ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    That...

...what...?

How....????

Sorry, speechless.

Wow, just wow!
    I'm speechless at your speechless. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Great work, Konraw! That must have taken ages.
    The map or the above write up? . The write up did take ages. when I finished typing, my log had timed out and I lost it all. Had to do it again on WORD then log in and copy it here. Thanks for your comment

Guild Novice Facebook Connected lark774's Avatar

Between Secridia and this...
    I can't choose. They are both absolutely beautiful, and look like interesting worlds.

Another beauty! And your odyssey for the map...ouch. I can only imagine how that must have felt. And all the reworking...wow.

Is this a part of the same world as the Segridia map? Or is this a whole other setting?
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Another beauty! And your odyssey for the map...ouch. I can only imagine how that must have felt. And all the reworking...wow.

Is this a part of the same world as the Segridia map? Or is this a whole other setting?
    A completely different world.

Another excellent and impressive work Konrow ! Oh, and I love all those boats and sea monsters btw. Can't rep you again so soon, but I'm doing it in spirit.

Wow! You are just full of most excellent and lovely maps, aren't you? I can imagine the painstaking effort you put into restoring this... had to do something very similar with a 4x6 ft painting once (not fun), but this is really something else. I'm glad you did restore it, and thank you for sharing it as well. It's a very remarkable map!
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast