Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Warning! Will Robinson! Warning!

@heathen - No problem... under gimp 2.4 it is under the "toolbox dialog" File->Preferences. Under gimp 2.6 it is in the main window under Edit->Preferences.

@jfrazierjr - See Here

-Rob A>

ya I saw it, now I got like a gang load of textures/tiles and stuff I want to use, what's the quickest way to convert???? I know you said you could create a script but this is like alot of textures....

Quote Originally Posted by heathan666 View Post
    ya I saw it, now I got like a gang load of textures/tiles and stuff I want to use, what's the quickest way to convert???? I know you said you could create a script but this is like alot of textures....
    I'll tell you - here is how I use my textures (all png files). I don't import them all, cause gimp has no decent way to group them into folders, etc. There is a python brush manager I use and I have been tempted to extend it to also be a pattern manager, but find the following workflow is more convenient for me...

I have gimp open, and I'm working on a drawing. I also keep faststone image viewer running, sitting in my textures root directory. All my textures are ordered in a directory like this:

-BASIC (contains textures I use often)
    -MANMADE
    --BRICK
    --MARBLE
    --METAL
    --SEWER
    --STONE
    --TILES
    --WOOD
    -NATURAL
    --DIRT
    --GRASS
    --STONE
    --VEGETATION
    --COVER
    --WATER
    --WINTER
    -TERRAIN (larger scale, the others are all battlemap scale)
    -PHOTOREALISTIC (photos I have taken/rendered that usually aren't seamless tiles yet)

I just copy (ctrl-C) from the faststone image browser (preview window, not the thumbnail list!) and then go into gimp and paste (ctrl-v) then cut (ctrl-x). This leave me with the pattern in the gimp clipboard and I can just use it as a fill.

If I want it as a pattern for a while, after this I just Edit->Paste as->New Pattern.

-Rob A>

Guild Journeyer

I didn't realise you could fill using the clipboard, this makes things so much easier, glad I checked this thread now, thanks for asking the question heathan!

ok so now I'm workin' on a dungeon map using the script I have and all my new found little textures. So I want to make the map fairly realistic are there any sites that you guys can suggest to me to look at when creating a realistic dungeon???

Behold my Mighty +5 Axiomatic Flame Burst Cudgel of Repping!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

ok so now I'm workin' on a dungeon map using the script I have and all my new found little textures. So I want to make the map fairly realistic are there any sites that you guys can suggest to me to look at when creating a realistic dungeon???
    No answer yet, so I'll post one up..... What do you mean by "realistic dungeon"? Photo-realistic, or "real life" realistic?

If the former, try the dundjinni forums for objects. If the latter, I don't know 'cause I've never seen a real dungeon

-Rob A>

well what I mean is realistic as in developing an ecology and how to pick where traps go etc. For my next adventure I plan on using a school of magic, probably 2 story building with various stuff. Last time I made the maps PCs complained that they didn't "fit" right, but the map was awesome. So in that sense I'm glad I'm doin' better on the maps.
    If anyone has a map of a "school" of magic I'd love to ninja it from you, lol.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

If anyone has a map of a "school" of magic I'd love to ninja it from you, lol.
    Check out the Building/Structure Mapping and the FInished Maps forums, you might just find something.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123