Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning! Will Robinson! Warning!

Post Warning! Will Robinson! Warning!

Hello I'm Heathan, I'm new to the "artistic" end of map making. I personally am very good at drawing and painting, but little experience with computer art (although I will be getting a stylist for my computer soon).
    I've made maps and run a game on maptools, my main interest is creating some semi-detailed maps and such for them (basically leave out everything that's interactive and add that in maptools).
    Currently my pet project is a large underground ruin's inhabbited by mutant kobolds. The area the players are going to be in isn't that large map, now I've been told the best way to do that is basically using photoshop or gimp. However I have lil experience using them other then converting jpegs and stuff to png for map tools.
    I also like long walks on the beach, reading to underprivliged school children, and spending time helping feed the homeless......lol j/k that's my way of sayin' I talk to much. Anyways any help you guys can offer I'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by heathan666 View Post
    Hello I'm Heathan, I'm new to the "artistic" end of map making. I personally am very good at drawing and painting, but little experience with computer art (although I will be getting a stylist for my computer soon).
    I've made maps and run a game on maptools, my main interest is creating some semi-detailed maps and such for them (basically leave out everything that's interactive and add that in maptools).
    Currently my pet project is a large underground ruin's inhabbited by mutant kobolds. The area the players are going to be in isn't that large map, now I've been told the best way to do that is basically using photoshop or gimp. However I have lil experience using them other then converting jpegs and stuff to png for map tools.
    I also like long walks on the beach, reading to underprivliged school children, and spending time helping feed the homeless......lol j/k that's my way of sayin' I talk to much. Anyways any help you guys can offer I'd like.

Welcome to the Guild! If you want simple and quick, the fastest way would be using GIMP and RobA's Dungeon generation script. This is a great way to get a dungeon shell built in seconds(once you get GIMP set up and installed and stuff) The best thing to do is ask questions, lots of questions and we will be happy to help with the specifics.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

that's actually awesome, btw I have no life so I can come up with alot of questions....ummmm I like this site alot. I actually went to school years ago for graphic arts but didn't like it that much (as at the time the computer medium wasn't as open to me or interesting as it is now).
    I'm also glad I looked at that forum there was a link on it that caught my eye, as well, the tutorial's one about regional maps (happens another project of mine is creating a nice map for my players of the regions).

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild, heathan666. I second ravells' notion. Lets see some of your maps.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You're getting a stylist for your computer? Wow you must have some big bucks...all I can do is put contact paper on mine Kidding....welcome to the Guild.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

lol my hand drawn maps aren't that good either, very old skool if you know what I mean. However I did post one of my maps that I had been working on for my D&D game. I've already found 2 very interesting threads, however I still haven't figured out how to run the script yet??? I'm trying to make a dungeon as well as work on the world map (dungeon is high priority) and I got a good script from it, but I'm afraid I'm retarded and need a walk through on how to use it. I have vent and email if anyone wants to hook me up. lol.

Ok well the newbie has struck, um after some work (and still working) I was able to start redoing one of my maps and in doing so tada! My first post

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3150

Quote Originally Posted by heathan666 View Post
    lol my hand drawn maps aren't that good either, very old skool if you know what I mean. However I did post one of my maps that I had been working on for my D&D game. I've already found 2 very interesting threads, however I still haven't figured out how to run the script yet??? I'm trying to make a dungeon as well as work on the world map (dungeon is high priority) and I got a good script from it, but I'm afraid I'm retarded and need a walk through on how to use it. I have vent and email if anyone wants to hook me up. lol.

Hmm ok. so what OS are you using?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast