Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dungeon Practice Map - Looking for advice

Wip Dungeon Practice Map - Looking for advice

Ok, having mastered the basics of photoshop and also after having played with a bunch of regional maps, I decided to take an old simple dungeon map from an old campaign and see what I could do with it.

Here's what I have so far:

http://www.imperialcross.co.uk/stuff...rgroundwip.jpg

Things I'm looking for besides general critique:

(1) Various methods of doing flagstones and stuff and having them merge into more natural looking areas.
    (2) The walls. I want walls that look interesting and like actual walls, in a similar style to the map in this thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2522

It's also a style used in some of the newer adventure modules by Wizards, and I really like it.

Also, any other critique and advice with technique suggestions would be great, thankyou!

Nice start. My first suggestion would be to select your inside, expand the selection about 10 px or so, and then invert the selection and make a channel. Create a new layer and fill it with noise and set the blend mode to overlay and add the channel to the layer as a mask. This will put some random clouds over your "rock" parts and give them much more variety in dark/light tones. Of course, this depends on where you are going with the whole thing.

As for the walls, if PS supports it(GIMP does), I would select the walls and create a path from this. Then, unselect and stroke the path with a suitable texture you like(on a separate transparent layer.) I would probably also do the same noise thing on the floors layer to get some variation on the floor color also.

Hmm... how come some of the floor has a slight bluish tint???
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Much along what JFJ was saying...make a selection, enlarge it, fill with a pattern, then delete the middle by selecting the original shape/shapes, then go around the outside edges and erase rocks not fully formed.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

set a natural rock layer down... then a layer for the flagstone (I might even go with another natural layer abouve the flagstone ... then use masks to blend the areas you want to look more natural in with the flagstone floor.... play around with multiply and overlay as well till you get the effect you are going for...

Can you post a link to a tutorial on how to get to where you are now?
    (with photoshop)

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    But to get the beautiful bricky walls (as shown in the linked map) you have to bite the bullet and draw them by hand... Sorry

-Rob A>
    Hmm I thought the original poster had gotten those walls from a texture somewhere? Isn't that why there is some clipping on the original post image?
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Hmm I thought the original poster had gotten those walls from a texture somewhere? Isn't that why there is some clipping on the original post image?
    IIR it was clipping due to bad masking of his original work...

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    IIR it was clipping due to bad masking of his original work...

-Rob A>

Ah.. bummer.. perhaps I can try to knock up a quick texture that comes close to that style when I get home... I know I could use that type of stone work....
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

I meant to get the grid the shadow and the grayish BG texture

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast