Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Tarkir

@ J.Edward & Chashio: Thanks for your kind encouraging comments! I try to keep strong
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Maybe you already stated this earlier but what will go over in the right side area?
    I made some sketches and notes, so you get an idea what is (not yet) going on in the eastern territories, but also what is still missing in the other parts of the map
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tarkir_WIP_VIIa.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	75646

Wow, this map is just pure eye-candy, and it's only linework so far! I also want to comment you on the enormous stylistic difference between this map and your Dor-en-Ernil map, it shows the diversity and creativity you possess!

-Dan

Thank you Dan, much appreciated! Yes, it's a very different approach than with Dor-en-Ernil. But i'm building a lot on the experience i made with it actually drawing things (although the tablet makes it so much easier now ^^). Besides the huge inspiration from all the great works shown here in the CG day by day, i guess a good amount of comic book illustrations, slumbering somewhere in my subconscious, slipped into this map so far .

OMG, really cool WIP Abu!! so many details! and your mountains are amazing!
    Imo, the size of the map compared to the little details is a bit too big, but this mean only an harder work for you!
    On wich resolution are you working on?

Quote Originally Posted by lesopeso View Post
    OMG, really cool WIP Abu!! so many details! and your mountains are amazing!
    Imo, the size of the map compared to the little details is a bit too big, but this mean only an harder work for you!
    On wich resolution are you working on?
    Thank you lesopeso, i'm glad you like it! As written above it's an 9904x7016 px canvas. I have no experience with printing maps, but i plan to print it at least in A2, because if it's smaller it might be hard to see all the details indeed .

While having a break from drawing the mountains, seperating the Sultai and Mardu territory, by chance i watched a nice documentary about the Ardèche valley in France and was stunned by the wonderful landscape (the last time i've been there was as a child on vacation). So i couldn't help but trying to draw some limestone cliffs XD. By the way of doing this, i also made the first forests on the map. It's not more than some vague outlines so far and hardly recognizable i think. I'm also unsure how to make it look like a jungle...

I decided to let the Marang River spring from the Qal Sisma mountains in the north. He will cross the Mardu lands and then flow through a tunnel(?) under the mountains (well, MtG is really "high fantasy" stuff, i am totally aware that "realistic rivers" wouldn't do such a thing ) into Sultai Territory.
    Attachment 75671
    I like the result of the valley so far (btw. it's on the far right side of the map^^), but again i'm really unsure if i messed up this strange thing called "perspective" by drawing the landscape like this...

Cheers,
    AL

It's just excellent! I'm always amazed (and a bit jealous ) by the many people on the guild who become talented artists in a very short time... And you're certainly one of them Abu!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Yeah that cliff city… I love it. And Ilanthar is right, your work is really paying off and you've just made amazing progress that I am in awe of.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    It's just excellent! I'm always amazed (and a bit jealous ) by the many people on the guild who become talented artists in a very short time... And you're certainly one of them Abu!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    Yeah that cliff city… I love it. And Ilanthar is right, your work is really paying off and you've just made amazing progress that I am in awe of.
    Thank you so much guys, i'm really flattered! Can only say that i see myself more as a dwarf standing on the shoulders of giants, and you, gentlemen, are certainly two of them! Ok, enough pathos for now...
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 08-27-2015 at 06:34 PM. Reason: those typos oO

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

The detail on those mountain locations is simply amazing! Did you do them solely in PS?

Many thanks Wired, much appreciated! It's Krita i used for them (solely). I wrote a bit about the decision above.
    I spent quite some time reworking the "Marang river valley" in the east due to perspective issues (i'm sure there are still plenty of them! XD). Not sure if it was for the better but after rearranging some mountains and drawing a lot more, the perspective felt at least "less wrong". Some parts maybe a bit confusing atm, so i blocked in some green were the jungle is, to get a better idea of the landscape.
    Attachment 75764
    One of the many problems i encountered, is my lacking workflow with the pressure sensivity. It's great to have it, but i fail too often to keep the intensity(?) of my linework consistent (thicker lines foreground some elements which are actually behind the thinner/lighter lines for example). Well, i guess there's not much more about it than "practice more"!? ...

Cheers,
    AL

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast