Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unnamed colored regional map [WIP]

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Thanks for all the constructive input, ladies and gentlemen.
    Okay, I made a few changes. I switched the coastal features over to a more gradual change of colors rather than the flat blue I've used so far. Without the flat blue outline the red looks a lot let... offensive? Hard on the eyes? As far the oasis, I've reworked to coloration to a more desaturated look. Aside from that change I don't know how else I can portray them as oasis. While they do undoubtedly look icon-ish, the final product will be an A3 printout and I'm afraid if I switch to a more nondescript, true to style approach they'll get lost in the fray.

As for the forests: no shading yet, so I hope to still get them a bit more 3-dimensional. All the mountains should have some depth, though. *shrugs*

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Commission for Matt Curtian8.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	75604
    Last edited by Wired; 08-24-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Banned User

Yes, I like this a lot better, and the red coastline doesn't seem too harsh. I might make it just a little darker red. Did you intend to leave the second red outline (out in the ocean a ways)? I'd zap that one and just keep the coastline.

I add my vote to the "connect that lake to the fjord", but I think the oases look just fine.

Coming along nicely!

Blog Entries

I think that's a huge improvement on the coastlines! Also oasis icons look much better now that they are lighter, IMO.

BTW, I had to study it for a while to come up with any criticisms... so this was a great map to begin with.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Well, I've added shading to the forests and created another lake. The current upload simulates the size of the print version of the map (A3), and as such I had to place two rather flat location symbols (town and city). I can't get them any better at that resolution (something I realized only after spending quite some time on drawing a nice town symbol).

Name:	Commission for Matt Curtian9.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	583.3 KB 
ID:	75644

Originally planned town symbol.

Name:	Town icon.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	236.4 KB 
ID:	75645

Hi, it's just my opionion, but i do not like the red coastline at all, your map is beautiful: the mountains, the forests, those small oasis.. anything is smooth and good blended, except those flashing red coastlines.. you should try a much darker color, and perhaps a change in opacity.

I should largely be done now. As you - hopefully - can see I did come up with two sets/variations of the town and city icons (for the temperate and for the desert climate region). Depending on my client's feedback I should then move on to the map border and scale.

And the red outline stays.

Name:	Commission for Matt Curtian10.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	619.7 KB 
ID:	75669

Wow I really like the way forests and mountains mix and the difference from the island color set and the bright reddish for the desert.
    Great idea redline for coasts!
    Great map

Quote Originally Posted by Ariz89 View Post
    Wow I really like the way forests and mountains mix and the difference from the island color set and the bright reddish for the desert.
    Great idea redline for coasts!
    Great map
    Thank you, glad you like it!

Since the client can't decide whether the town and city depictions will still look good on the print-out we've decided to go with a more simple style there, using the usual cartographic-slash-geometric shapes instead. I've done a map border in the meantime and will add some polar ice later. Once I've got some feedback on the actual size of what the map shows I'll add a scale, too.

Nice work Wired! I really like the colors and would like to see a bigger version to see the details. As Lespoeso, I'm not sold on the red outline. The color is not disturbing by itself, but it's a bit too much saturated to my taste.

In light of the resolution issues we decided to go with simple icons. The map should be pretty much done by now.

Name:	Commission for Matt Curtian11.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	75758

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast