Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abandoned/Old Mine

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Wip Abandoned/Old Mine

OK another slow day at work, so besides the update to my previous Wet, Weathered & Worn map I started playing around with this.

Again its using the base map from this month's challenge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old Mine.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	7063  
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

i like the texture, but I think the non-tunnel areas need to be mostly black and untextured, as it is they seem to create a pretty funky figure/ground problem
    Something witty and pithy

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmpig View Post
    i like the texture, but I think the non-tunnel areas need to be mostly black and untextured, as it is they seem to create a pretty funky figure/ground problem
    You have a very good point there.

I'll have to play around with that some and see how it looks. Or I can say that they mined 'channels' thru the floor of a cavern or something.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the idea G. What I'm trying to figure out is how to make the wall bits seem to stand up higher than the floor bits...don't think a shadow or bevel would accomplish that. Well maybe, I dunno, but also maybe shade the wall bits lighter to make em seem to stand up more? Hrm, maybe a bumpmap run through the lighting effects filter (then set to overlay) or maybe render the basic shapes in Bryce (or something) then import the layer in and set it to overlay. Maybe some lighter shading where the rails are going to be (like in a mine). Lots of ideas to mess around with, not sure any of them would work. Anywho, keep working this one through, I'd like to see what happens.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I like the idea G. What I'm trying to figure out is how to make the wall bits seem to stand up higher than the floor bits...don't think a shadow or bevel would accomplish that. Well maybe, I dunno, but also maybe shade the wall bits lighter to make em seem to stand up more? Hrm, maybe a bumpmap run through the lighting effects filter (then set to overlay) or maybe render the basic shapes in Bryce (or something) then import the layer in and set it to overlay. Maybe some lighter shading where the rails are going to be (like in a mine). Lots of ideas to mess around with, not sure any of them would work. Anywho, keep working this one through, I'd like to see what happens.
    I agree with this. The walls appear more like slightly raised areas(a-la small hills), perhaps because there was some blur(perhaps an attempt at a shadow already??) done on them and that's messing up the illusion. As ascension said, I don't thing shadow will work just due to the two colors involved are already so dark.

Also, as mmmmmpig said, the tunnels probably have to much texture. Now, in all reality, the walls and the tunnel floors would be made of the same material (probably) and thus should look the same.. but then you have the problem of not being able to make a visual distinction between the two... I feel for you working with such dark colors, but am sure you will figure something out!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Took a second look and yeah, there is a blur. Because this is something that I've never done (a dungeon) I thought that I might want to play around with trying to make the wall bits more "wally". I used the above things I thought might work and then put some lights in (but not the lanterns). So throw it out if unusable, just messin around trying to solve a problem. Ciao 4 now.

Name:	Old Mine.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	7068  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks guys I really appreciate all of the comments and ideas.

Actually my original idea was something like what you posted Ascension, but I decided to leave out the lanterns/torches/etc. and just have a dark mine with the rails and a few abandoned carts scattered about.

IIRC there is an inner-shadow layer affect on the walls that is currently "turned off" so I can see things better while placing the railway.

The walls definitely still need some work, I may do something similar to what I did with my "Wet, Weathered & Worn" experiment where I stack textures in multiple layers slightly changing the color, opacity, etc.

If things at work continue to be as slow as the last couple of days, I'll have plenty of time to play around with it.
    Last edited by Steel General; 10-13-2008 at 07:21 PM.

One thing I've noticed in old mines (there are lots of them around here) is that mines that are relatively close to the surface tend to be brown and dusty. Admittedly, I'm living in a desert, but I would think that there are similar things are play in other areas. What I'm driving at is that I would expect a much more pronounced difference in color between the "floor" areas and the "unmined" areas.

If you can add in a couple of headknockers then you'd have my mine experience nicely duplicated. Something about those miners from 100 years ago being somewhat less tall than my well-over-six-foot height.

OK, yet another sloooowww day at work. So here's the latest update to this.

Tweaked a few things; might have went a little bit overboard with the mine tracks, looks like a drunken engineering team built some of them.

Still debating on whether to add some scattered light sources, but its supposed to be abandoned so I'm leaning against not having them.

Name:	Old Mine v2.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	7081  

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    OK, yet another sloooowww day at work. So here's the latest update to this.

Tweaked a few things; might have went a little bit overboard with the mine tracks, looks like a drunken engineering team built some of them.
    Dwarven holy water....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast