Thread: New old guy...

Guild Applicant

Post New old guy...

I was reading Andrew Law's page and he mentioned the Cartographers' Guild.

In the past I drew my maps on plain or graph paper with a pencils or roughly sketched out a city layout. I don't 'map' for the players now, they can if they wish. I might draw free-handed (in advance) a map on parchment paper with a fine tip sharpie (looks like pen & ink) and then fold, tear and age it with tea, dirt, flame. I would hand that out during game (WFRP).

Now I want to make a GM ref. map of a city in WFRP world, Bechafen (briefly described in on of the books & elsewhere on the web), hopefully in a manner similar to Andrew Law's work (professional and nice details, with a bit of shrubbery along the sides). I downloaded AutoRealm but it looks like I'll be purchasing City Designer, from the CC3 peoples.

I'm more of a hands on artist and never really tried my hand at anyhting on the computer, I doodle with MSPaint or something but it was just that.

I dont have any questions at this time, I have been compiling notes and sketching out some ideas on paper. I was reading some of the post about population density and 'how and why' the city is <here> (the Greyhawk mapper link). All very useful in making a plausable map.

So, until I get City Designer, I'll be reading stuff and occassionaly ask a question or add my two cents worth.

... and to those that have created and shared your maps - very cool & inspiring too.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome Otter!

Are you waiting to get CD3 due to lack of money or just not ready yet? If you want to get started right away with your town making, I would highly suggest getting GIMP (free open source software) and taking a look at Pyrandon' tutorial. Even though the tutorial was done in Photoshop and there are some differences between the two programs, with our help, you should be able to use GIMP to make a make in a very similar style(if thats what your after).

I am not trying to push you away from CC/CD, but some people find that having more tools helps them be flexible depending on their exact needs(and others just don't like to have to choose), so if you are the type to like more choices, give GIMP a go. I know several people who use multiple programs for mapping and it sometimes just depends on what they feel like at the partcular moment as to which they will use for doing a map. Also, while CC3 can make some great maps (see this link for a few examples with the recently released CD3) some people like to pull the image from CC/CD into GIMP or Photoshop and go that extra mile to spruce it up with some stuff CC/CD can't do(which is becoming much less as new versions are released).
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Also, just so you know. CD3 is an ADD-ON for CC3. If you do not have the main engine, it will not work.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Applicant

I havn't really decided if CC3/CD3 is really the way to go... It looks very nice but I'm not sure if I want to drop $85 (CC3 + CD3, download) on a program I am not familiar with. I would really like to test drive it and see what kind of learning curve it has. The other issue is my real job is tech support for a small software company in Columbus Oh. and when I get home after work I can find 5 other things I'd rather do than sit down in front of a computer again.

I will look into GIMP, which won't hurt so bad if I find out that mapmaking on the computer is not for me. I'll look into the tutorial also.

Thanks for pointing out that option.

I'll be back...

Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
    I havn't really decided if CC3/CD3 is really the way to go... It looks very nice but I'm not sure if I want to drop $85 (CC3 + CD3, download) on a program I am not familiar with. I would really like to test drive it and see what kind of learning curve it has. The other issue is my real job is tech support for a small software company in Columbus Oh. and when I get home after work I can find 5 other things I'd rather do than sit down in front of a computer again.

I will look into GIMP, which won't hurt so bad if I find out that mapmaking on the computer is not for me. I'll look into the tutorial also.

Thanks for pointing out that option.

I'll be back...

While I am slightly biased toward GIMP, CC/CD are really good programs. However, I have tried CC (a long time ago) and it has a steep learning curve unless you take the time go through the tutorials that come with it and spend some time playing with it. However, once you get proficient, you can make a nice map very quickly with not much effort due to the stock images and such that come with it. GIMP likewise has learning curve, but on the other hand, it can be used for so much more than map making.

tech support....been there, done that... "hatttted it".

If you do get GIMP, I would highly advise spending the time to install the python support. It is a PITA to get working on windows, but it really provides you with some really nice options of some things that other users have scripted which increase the flexibility of the base GIMP install. Like I said, if you get started in GIMP, post up your works in progress early and often so we can help you along. Of the "really" active posters, myself, RobA, Torq, and Torstan who use GIMP (others use GIMP but may not be as active, sorry if I missed someone!), one of us should be able to help you out within a few days at the most if you have any questions.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Guild Applicant

I got GIMP 2.6 and have playin around with. I have Vista at work and XP Home at home. GIMP is working fine on both, is there something i might be missing?

I was checking out various features and doodling to see how it works. I have also started reading some of the tutorials on GIMP, started with the Layers/Channels. I took a B&W map and re-scaled in GIMP to the size I want and now playing around with that, although it's a single layer.

I'll read over the tuts and give it a go and if needed i'll ask questions...

Been doing tech support for over 9 years, the best part is I am only required to support our program and if you don't know how to use Windows, send emails or use Office apps, etc. - Sorry, until they (Microsoft, etc) put some digits in my checkbook I do not have to provide support for an app we don't produce... "Press F1 in that app for Help or contact that vendor".

Thanks.

I got GIMP 2.6 and have playin around with. I have Vista at work and XP Home at home. GIMP is working fine on both, is there something i might be missing?
    Then get to postin yer maps!!!

Not sure what the last sentence is in reference to. Are you talking about the Python support? If so, search the forums for Python and GIMP and poster = RobA. Basically, GIMP allows users to write scripts to automate common repetitive tasks. It has a built in scripting engine and also allows scripting using the Python and Perl languages (though you will probably not get Perl working on windows!). My point is that there are many scripts out there, some written in the default language and some written in Python, so if you want to use the Python ones, you have to follow the install process to get the extra components needed. I would highly suggest getting the Python support up and running even though it is a pain in the ass to get working right unless you follow the instructions EXACTLY.

I was checking out various features and doodling to see how it works. I have also started reading some of the tutorials on GIMP, started with the Layers/Channels. I took a B&W map and re-scaled in GIMP to the size I want and now playing around with that, although it's a single layer.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Behold my Mighty +5 Axiomatic Flame Burst Cudgel of Repping!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave