Thread: Aug / Sept 15 Lite Challenge: Mapping Icons Set

Default Aug / Sept 15 Lite Challenge: Mapping Icons Set

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	75663

So I decided to join my first mapping challenge. My first idea was to play with heraldry and make a couple of shield frames, patterns and symbols that could then be interchanged to form a multitude of options. But the allowed number of objects was too small and I also realized that I want to further improve my iso sketches. So what better reason to make a bunch of iso icons than a mapping challenge.

So for my first go I made an old roadside fort. For the submission I reduced the size of if by a third. I am very glad to hear any comments and suggestions on the style and work and whether I should revert the icon to its original size.

I will try to make 6 icons(as you can see from the empty space on the submission image) on time but this is for me still very time consuming so it could end up being a smaller number.

Cheers,
    Barek
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

That looks really nice so far. I look forward to seeing the rest of them. Some of the vertical lines may be off kilter (front left corner of the interior structure and windows on side facing the main gait/doors). There could be a (very small) line missing (bottom edge of the far wall inside, to show where it meets the ground). You might also want to adjust the weight or strength of some of the line art overall, so that the depth reads better and makes it easier to distinguish between structures and planes (mainly concerned about the top crenelated pieces on the near side that overlap the interior structure).
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Banned User

Really nice start! Hope you can find time for more

Hi Barek, welcome to the challenge! I'm glad you've decided to take the plunge and join in, because these challenges are a lot of fun.

I love what you've done so far, it looks fantastic! I hope you find the time to do several more because I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. The little signpost is absolutely the best thing I've seen today!!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thank you Chashio.

And great eyes Front left corner was meant to be like that since I wanted to see what a little bit of crookedness would bring(but not too happy with the result). And I forgot about those two windows, they are not done, thanks. That line line was bugging me as well since the real one should be just out of sight, and then placing a fake one for the sake of it seemed wrong to me. And yes I didnt add the extra strokes for the depth, I knew I forgot something.

This was very helpful!

Cheers,
    Barek

Thank you Chick and ChickPea!

This really is fun. Even if the quality ends up being sub par it is a great learning experience.

And thank you for the signpost comment, on every map so far that people commented there was at least one comment about a cute/cool little thing and that was usually the thing I added last as a "oh this could look nice on the map". These comments mean a lot.

Thank you all!

Cheers,
    Barek

Welcome to the Challenge Barek, Great iso illustration. Looking forward to seeing the rest of them.

Ok, did some minor modifications on the fort. Could be that I went overboard on making some lines thicker, ah well learning still

The main news however is the second piece for this challenge. A nice little inn on the side of the road. I call it the Honeycomb Inn in my head.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	75703

I would like to know if it also seems to you that I did a bit of a better work on the inn than I did on the fort. What sticks out, what should still be changed etc.
    All comments are appreciated.

Cheers,
    Barek

Yeah, that looks good. On your inn, I would suggest making things heavier (by line weight and/or adding some light-lined shade hatching) that are underneath, like the bottom edge of the roof lines (especially on that intricate roof, the other looks pretty good) and windows and flower boxes/planters(?) below the round windows, and your entry steps (if they're meant to have open space beneath, though I'm not sure how they'd stay up like that if they're stone or brick, and if they're wood, usually the bottom edge of the support beam on the side is flat). Also, those entry steps don't quite read dimensionally to me yet (though the top piece with the welcome mat is okay) - maybe erase the texture lines on the top surfaces of the steps and leave the texturing to the front faces.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

THanks for the comments Chashio. Those steps are a pain in the ass. I had the side down in the first version but it looked bulky, this way though you are right they cant stay. Will probably just put the side down and live with the bulkiness. And I'll shade a bit then per your suggestions. I always end up putting to much detail for the size of the image and then I have to use the thinnest of lines. Need to learn that less is more

Cheers,
    Barek

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast