Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sirilion (City Designer 3)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoel View Post
    I've looked at this map over and over again. It's a real inspiration.
    I want some of City Designers functions in photoshop..
    Two points: Is there anyway of anti aliasing the buildings. They look really jagged, specially in large res.
    Can you sharpen the terrain textures? Since the buildings are so well defined, the ground seems blurry.
    Thanks for your kind words.

1. I am not sure if I can smoothen out the buildings. CC3 does tend to make jaggies. Maybe someone more experienced with CC3 can give me some pointers.

2. Yes, I can. I put a blur on all the fields and river. At the time I thought it was cool, but now that I can save the map in large dimensions I am not so sure anymore.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I love this map, mainly as it addresses one of my personal pet peeves, that being city maps with way too few buildings. All too often we see this in published maps that are portrayed as being exacting representations(down to showing blown-up map sections with street names, building names, etc.), but that have way too few buildings to support a community of its size. Nice job on this!

One style question: water is generally darker the farther from the bank/shore it is, so do you prefer to make the water dark at the bank/shore so that it stands out more?

Thanks.

This map is great as it is. But if you want to play around with it some more you could always pimp it with photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Cebrion View Post
    One style question: water is generally darker the farther from the bank/shore it is, so do you prefer to make the water dark at the bank/shore so that it stands out more?
    I agree the water should be darker. I have been experimenting with some effects in similar maps, but haven't posted them on this forum yet.

It's likely I am going to redo this map some time as I know I can do a better job now. But it's gonna be a huge undertaking and I am not looking forward to it right now. I need to get in the mood

I recently redid some other maps:

Concetron
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3874

Meerzicht
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3934
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

This was a long time coming...
    Now that I have a new computer I can edit large maps like Sirilion without crashing. I gave the map a much needed update. I changed effects, added lots of little things and added labels. Oh, and I have been experimenting with borders a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sirilion_final.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	12731  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Lookin good, man. Congrats on the new pc as well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice! Took an already great map and made it even better.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

In College, my International relations professor, told us that when he lived abroad as a Foreign Service officer, he always rented a house that was upstream or higher than the masses. This also had the advantage, of highly influential neighbors, who enjoyed small perks to their government jobs, like snow plowing, something you never think of until you need it, in an underdeveloped nation. My point being, all the waste gets carried away by gravity, well you all know what I mean, sh*t flows down hill. As a general rule your expensive estates are up river, unless there is a special reason for them not to be, IMHO.

The river flow is not expressly indicated on your map, the islands might indicated that the expensive estates are down river, considering the mass of people this city represents; I would think that would be an odorous position. There could be an explanation for this, but that was my first impression.

I do have the tendency to see the minutiae.
    Last edited by Bishop Odo; 04-25-2009 at 04:21 PM.

Amazing scope there - I really appreciate your attention to detail. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Odo View Post
    The river flow is not expressly indicated on your map, the islands might indicated that the expensive estates are down river, considering the mass of people this city represents; I would think that would be an odorous position. There could be an explanation for this, but that was my first impression.
    The river flows to the west, that's why the estates (villas) are located to the east or upriver.

The palace is a bit downriver, but it has its own island. This is of course great for privacy and security.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast