Thread: Cartography Anxiety. I could use some guidance.

Question Cartography Anxiety. I could use some guidance.

I just feel like there is something fundamental I am missing about making maps as a GM. Like, okay, organic maps for caves or lost tombs etc are super easy, they just kinda go wherever makes sense for the narrative. But things like Continents (which I am getting a hang on slowly), or CASTLES, or walled in cities. I just do not have any idea what I am doing and I have been googling my butt off to try and teach myself to maybe get better y'know?

But oh man I have such issues figuring out scale. Like what does one grid square equal in a large city? I don't even know. So I am struggling but I am trying to write my own module and I would love it if I didn't hit this big block when I have to map out the castle things are in or something y'know? I dunno I think I am blowing it out of proportion but if anyone could give a newbie cartographer helpful advice I could really use it. It would really help calm the anxiety I get over all this. I am pretty creative, an illustrator, and I am willing to put the time in I just have no idea where to start!

So I guess I wonder, what kinda things are essential for me to know to make this easier on myself??

Either respond here or email me at minifelhart@hotmail.com. I would really appreciate some input/guidance.

Cooper, it's kind of hard to respond to your quandary, as there are lots of possible reasons why your "block" might be happening...

But based on your "narrative" comment, I think that might be part of your struggle. A dungeon or similar maps have a clear "throughline" that helps provide an inherent "structure" to their appearance. There's a function to them. There's a reason how or why the monsters are where they are in each part/room, and even an organic cave where there are occupants that aren't native to it can help dictate the form and function of the rooms.

But with a city map, with a world map, and a castle map, there may seem to be less narrative to help guide that structure. In some ways, a castle is a castle. There's a commonality to them in some ways--they have some similar elements that seem to be present in a lot of them. And cities as well. And worlds--the nature of the world is often dictated by nature's placement of mountains and rivers and coastlines... Those things don't seem to have much "narrative" to help guide the creation of their appearance.

But I would urge you to dig deeper. What makes a town or a city different than their neighbor? Why would one of those towns exist in the location it's at, and not somewhere further down the road? Does it have a history? Does it have a geological aspect that makes the development of a city make sense for that locale? And what drives the city--is it a center of trade, a farming village, a mining community or lumber center? There might be a "narrative" buried in the town itself.

And not all castles are built using a cookie-cutter template. For a reason. What makes your particular castles unique? Did the wife of the noble want huge gardens? Was there the potential of an invading force, and it had to be big enough to protect the population of the town? Does it protect something, or is it simply a very fancy home? Has it been expanded over the years? Why?

World geography has a tendency to dictate how history develops. A mountain range or ocean between two civilizations can impact the cultural development of both of them. Conquering an empire can depend on whether the occupying force can actually get there... And how... And from what direction. That can dictate where capitals are (are they geographically protected?) and where trade routes develop...

In short, one could say there is a "narrative" even in maps that may not appear to be inherently narrative-based. And perhaps that might be a way for you to contemplate the nature of those maps, creating unique environs that inherently support your story. They'll end up not being cookie-cutter creations, and maybe you'll find it easier to create them. Don't be distracted by the how of making the maps--start with the why of the content.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by Coreyartus; 08-28-2015 at 05:29 AM.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    But oh man I have such issues figuring out scale. Like what does one grid square equal in a large city? I don't even know. So I am struggling but I am trying to write my own module and I would love it if I didn't hit this big block when I have to map out the castle things are in or something y'know? .
    Scales are Paramount for cartography. Always were, will always be.
    Part of your problem may be (guessing here) that you start thinking about scales too late.

Try it the other way round.
    Every time I start a map and even before drawing the first line, I always fix what the size of the map will be (e.g the scale) .
    If I want to do a town, let's say a port on an ocean shore, I'll define the size of what I want to be represented as f.ex 10km x 10km.

From there it becomes rather mechanical.
    I choose the map format I want, f.ex 2 000 x 2 000 pixels.
    This means that one pixel on my map will be 5m x 5 m.
    And this is the guide which will allow you to set up anything you want and have the right scale and the right feature.

An avenue large 50 m ? It'll be 10 pixels wide. A statue in a park with trees around . A lighthouse. A square tower on the wall. A ship in the Harbour.
    So you just start filling up your 2 000 x 2 000 square of paper (or a screen) with elements like houses, Streets, parcs, towers, palaces, orchards and every time you know that 5 m are 1 pixel so that the size of all the elements will look compellingly realistic.

This process is obviously the same if what you do is a continent and not merely a town.
    Fix the size of your continent, fix the size of your map and then start filling up with rivers, mountains, forests, hills, lakes.
    Of course there are some constraints like water always flowing downward etc but this is secondary.

Hm this has given me some things to keep in mind. I like the varying perspective. This is kinda what I was looking for! Gives me something to think on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I just feel like there is something fundamental I am missing about making maps as a GM. Like, okay, organic maps for caves or lost tombs etc are super easy, they just kinda go wherever makes sense for the narrative. But things like Continents (which I am getting a hang on slowly), or CASTLES, or walled in cities. I just do not have any idea what I am doing and I have been googling my butt off to try and teach myself to maybe get better y'know?

But oh man I have such issues figuring out scale. Like what does one grid square equal in a large city? I don't even know. So I am struggling but I am trying to write my own module and I would love it if I didn't hit this big block when I have to map out the castle things are in or something y'know? I dunno I think I am blowing it out of proportion but if anyone could give a newbie cartographer helpful advice I could really use it. It would really help calm the anxiety I get over all this. I am pretty creative, an illustrator, and I am willing to put the time in I just have no idea where to start!

So I guess I wonder, what kinda things are essential for me to know to make this easier on myself??

Either respond here or email me at minifelhart@hotmail.com. I would really appreciate some input/guidance.
    Research.

Spend time researching what you are trying to create. Look at city maps, break them down, find the scale and measure things out.

Look at your own world. Measure out the rooms you live in.

When I was in my teens playing DnD, one square = 5 feet. Have you ever measured out a 5 x 5 foot square? I always thought it was silly, that with a 5x5 space, a person couldn't move through the same square, regardless of what was going on.

Collecting information is the best way to make sense of what things are and how to translate them into a visual representation of that data.

I think your root problem isn't with maps themselves, but with RPGs, or more accurately with the connection you draw between maps and RPGs.

Specifically, your question implies a heavily railroaded gaming style. To draw a map in advance based on "what makes sense for the narrative" implies said narrative is also planned in advance. You're using maps as a tool to drive players to tell the story you want told. Larger area maps don't fit with that motivation. They imply a more open world.

I should note there are players who want to be fed a story. I'm not one of them, and I'm incapable of understanding their motivations. I should also note that most published adventures lean toward railroady, so trying to imitate them can easily lead to railroady gaming even if that's not quite what one wants.

Summary: I think you are, consciously or unconsciously, writing for (and likely GMing and playing in) a gaming style in which maps of whole cities don't serve a purpose.