Thread: The Untamed Lands: Photoshop Test Map

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Default The Untamed Lands: Photoshop Test Map

So, I recently acquired myself a copy of Photoshop and to get myself acquainted with it I mapped the Untamed Lands, the unexplored area at the bottom of my old work-in-progress Calmera map. I didn't want to do the Calmera map itself yet because I knew I would be unsatisfied unless it was perfect, and for a learning experience that wasn't the way to go. So, I made this map over about two weeks in the few hours I get between work and sleep using the Saderan tutorial by Tear. The font is Althea by Paweł Burgiel.

The timeframe of this map is after much of the coast was discovered but before any major exploration of the interior has begun. Explorers have set up a small number of coastal camps (which they call Landings). This will certainly not be the final map of this land, but it is the final version of this map. I'm reasonably happy with it for what it is, an experiment, and I think I'm done fiddling with it. Feel free to give me some comments and advice toward my next project, which will borrow certain features of this map and tutorial, but this map is closed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untamed Lands.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	363.3 KB 
ID:	75704  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's a really great map, IMO. Simple, as is appropriate for a newly-discovered continent, with just the right amount of detail. Great layout of features - all in all a really good piece of work!

Banned User

Very nice job! To me, it feels like the rivers are oversized, too big relative to the mountains, but otherwise well done!