Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nanomonsters - Level Concept

Guild Member

Wip Nanomonsters - Level Concept

Hi, all!

Besides being busy with my PhD thesis (finally submitted!), I've been developing the basic concept of an adventure-puzzle game, at the moment called Nanomonsters. I can tell you more about the background story if you want, but the basic idea is to control a group of funny nano-sized creatures inside the cells of monster. It is inspired by games like "Lost Vikings", "The Cave" and "Thrine".

Besides creating the creatures using 3D modeling and a hair simulation system, I am also conceptualizing the levels. But for the levels, I am considering to keep them flat 2D hand-drawn maps - inspired by Peter Mcclory style (http://petermcclory.com/). Here is one of the level concepts I created. Let me know what you think of it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nanomonsters Level.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	75769

That looks really cool (kinda reminds me of Worms environments)! The game sounds fun too, though I'm not familiar with the sources if inspiration (I live under a rock). Are you going to color it next?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Member

Thanks Chashio! I am glad that you like it! I thought about colouring... I also thought of converting the map to 3D environments, althoug I like the more whimsical and indie look of a hand drawn 2D one. As for colouring, I will try it and see what feels better... if just the pencil and paper or if coloured.

If you want, I can showcase the characters here and explain a bit more of the story.

As for the games that inspired me to be honest, I only played Lost Vikings, the others I just watched several videos on youtube. You can check them here: The Cave (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5iBZt2LUbU), Thrine 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIBApCwG2Xs) and Lost Vikings - for SNES (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnQFWgqikhE).

Regards,
    Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Araujo View Post
    If you want, I can showcase the characters here and explain a bit more of the story.
    That would be neat, I'd love to see what you have going for all that.
    And thanks for the links to the game videos - I'll check them out. As to the 2D/3D environment, I agree with your sentiments. I'm just thinking color would look really great, but if your little creatures are't colored it might work better without.

Guild Member

Below is a draft of the story. I kinda visualize it as a storyboarding for some cinematics of a game, so I will wrote it with that in mind. Hope to develop the storyboarding too.

"This is 'Ben'. As many juvenile monsters of his species, Ben is very adventurous and will always try to go beyond the boundaries of its natural habitat.
    One day Ben went so far that he got lost. Trying to find his way back just got him even more lost and now a storm was approaching.
    Luckly, Ben found the entrance to a cave in a very weird looking mountain area. Without further delay, Ben rushed into the cave.
    It should not be a problem for him, because Ben has infra-red vision and a good sense of smell, so wandering in the darkness is something he is supposed to be good at.
    The problem is that Ben is a very clumsy monster, and deep inside the cave, he ends up putting himself in danger. He trips, falls, rolls down a slope, bump into several stones, injuries his arms and legs, and ends up crashing onto a wall. Poor Ben... He faints, and only wake up some time later. He decides to climb back. Its not raining anymore. Injured, Ben tries to find his way back home again...
    After an hour of walking, Ben starts to feel unwell. His body is getting hot, his body is aching, legs getting tired...
    Yup... Ben is sick... He probably was infected with all sorts of viruses, bacteria and other microorganisms that inhabited the strange environment of the cave. He got it through his wounds...
    With no stamina, Ben stops to rest.
    But he need not to worry, because for a monster as he is, Ben's body is equipped with a kick-ass immune system that will deal with the infection. Inside his body, Ben has special antibodies that are as monstruous as him. These creature-like proteins will get rid of those &#@%# microorganisms and fix Ben's body in the blink of an eye."

So... here is where the adventure is supposed to start. The Nanomonsters are the antibodies and they will have to go in a molecular journey to fight against the several "things" that infected Ben. But of course, some things will happen along the way and the journey will be more difficult than it appears to be.

Guild Member

Lets introduce the Nanomonsters:

Attachment 75820

Blog Entries

I think that if the focus of the game is on the Nanomonsters and their immune-system adventures, then that's where most of the story should focus, too (unless what you wrote above was a prologue of sorts).

The drawing is very neat and has excellent shading, so kudos. For this sort of project, I too think you should color.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Guild Member

Hi, foremost! Thank you for your feedback!

Yup, its sort of a prologue. I agree that it sounds a "long" story, but this should be two pages of a storyboard only. At least that's how I visualize it. Much of what I wrote can be better represented by a few drawings. That would make the prologue faster and jump straight to the story of the Nanomonsters. I think as a game, I would imagine it like this:

Once you "open" the game, the prologue starts with a quick animation (could even be just a few stills like a comic book). Prologue ends with nanomonsters starting their journey. Then go the the game starting screen (Click start to play, options, and so on). Once you click start to play, then there will be the story of what happens to the nanomonsters during the journey and then the adventure begins.

Ok! I will try colouring this map!

Regards,
    Diego

Thanks for sharing the backstory! That'll be neat to see the prologue in picture form. It sounds like a cute and fun entrance to the main game. But your introduction of the nanomonsters (the image attachment) didn't work properly, which happens sometimes. Would you mind re-uploading that?

Guild Member

Oh... Sorry! Let me try again here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nanomonsters - All Monsters.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	296.3 KB 
ID:	75827

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast