Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aug / Sept 15 Lite Challenge: Shields with Sigils and Mottos

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Thank you! I re-did the rest of the icons with the revised smoothed-out template. I also put in a small purple gem in for the dragon's eye and touched up the contouring of the body some (his arms especially; they looked a bit detached before).

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HeraldicRoundShieldCollection.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	75845

I feel like I've neglected the bottom three shields, though it's also nice to have some plainer ones to make the upper three stand out more.
    Last edited by Coriolis; 09-05-2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Double-attached by accident.

Using a trick I came up with a year ago for creating a Damascus steel texture, I re-did the "Hippy" shield's steel texture layers.

Name:	Hippy.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	507.1 KB 
ID:	75847

My reasoning on this is twofold. If the Hippy faction is made up of nerds, then they might have worked out pattern welding as a superior technique to other manufacturing methods. If they're more about the higher mysteries of religion or mysticism, then the swirly patterns can suggest those mysteries.
    Last edited by Coriolis; 09-05-2015 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Fixing a minor image issue.

I'm still contemplating what to do with the Phoenix and Horse shields; in case I can't think of anything before the deadline, here's the latest with the Damascus steel Hippy shield for the thumbnail scraper:

### LATEST WIP ###

Views:	31 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	75851

Well, I had another idea for the phoenix shield. I did a little tweaking of the logo (which was already an adaptation of this logo) and added in a cigarette ashes texture to the face of the shield. Why just do a dark ash-grey when I can actually do ashes?

Name:	Phoenix.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	467.8 KB 
ID:	75854

My thinking is, when people from outside this faction join the phoenix faction, they participate in a special ceremony, in which they brush on a special paste on their shields and place them face-down in the coals of a large fire. The old sigils burn away to black in the paste, and the ash residue becomes the field of the shield's new heraldry. The phoenix and motto are then applied.
    Last edited by Coriolis; 09-06-2015 at 10:52 AM.

That new texture is fantastic looking.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

These are really great, Coriolis. You've given me inspiration for some of my own sigils (that Damascus steel technique is cool), so that's worth a vote right there.

Thank you very much! I appreciate the feedback.

Here's the latest version of the collection for the thumbnail scraper.
    ### LATEST WIP ###

Views:	68 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	75861

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

I'm not the guy who loves shields, but you made a really great work here. Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by JefBT View Post
    I'm not the guy who loves shields, but you made a really great work here. Awesome!
    Thank you! Alas, we must agree to disagree on shields. One of my first commissions was a quid-pro-quo commission in which I made a map for a guy, and he made me a real-life shields painted with the design of my real-life family's coat of arms. It made a fantastic birthday present for my son.

These have turned out fantastically well. I'm trying to pick my favourite, but it's really hard because they're all so well done. I think maybe "From Death to Victory" and "Over All, Under None" really jump out at me, but you've done a great job with all of them.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast