Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating fake DEM's and turning them to modern contour maps

Default Creating fake DEM's and turning them to modern contour maps

So this was originally made for a monthly contest here at the guild. After the contest is over, I guess it's time to post it here on the right room for tutorials.

Feel free to comment or share your experiments with the tutorial. All kind of feedback is very welcome!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tutorial_COLLAGE_to_CONTOUR.pdf 
Views:	1580 
Size:	620.7 KB 
ID:	75867

As I told you in private Pixie, I really like this tut. I had wanted to do something like this but I had no idea of how to get to it.

Rep will follow as soon as I can.

By the way, would you say this techique works better for regional maps? Could one pull it off with a world map?

Congratulations on your award!

Pixie, I have PM'ed you twice, but apparently something's gone wrong. So, from me too: congratulations with your award! It really is a great tutorial.

I'll have to see if I can adapt it a bit so it works in GIMP too. The problem is that GIMP doesn't have level adjustment layers, but I've read somewhere that there may be a work-around.

Cheers - Akubra
    “I am an agnostic on most matters of faith, but on the subject of maps I have always been a true believer. It is on the map, therefore it is, and I am.”
    ― Tony Horwitz, One for the Road: An Outback Adventure

Sadly I couldn't rep you for this Pixie (and still can't yet ), but this is a very interesting tutorial.

If you find a way to replicate this in Gimp, Akubra, you might as well share it in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    If you find a way to replicate this in Gimp, Akubra, you might as well share it in this thread.
    That would be great, since I have Gimp .

*If* I find something, I'll make sure to share it here Pixie. I have started with something but I had to interrupt it, and anyway I'm not sure it would have led anywhere. I think there are two ways to go: either simulate the adjustment layers, or finding a way so that they are not needed. Not sure which would have the most chance to lead to a solution. Anyway, it will take some time to investigate... (Sorry Ilanthar!)

Cheers - Akubra
    “I am an agnostic on most matters of faith, but on the subject of maps I have always been a true believer. It is on the map, therefore it is, and I am.”

I'm sorry guys, but I've more or less given up on this. During the weekend I've been looking for ways to mimic Pixie's procedures in Gimp, but I didn't succeed. I even delved into Script-fu/Scheme to write a script, but I hit a wall when trying to get the RGB values of separate pixels. Yesterday I've been trying to find a solution, but by the end of the day I had nothing. Anyway, it was still quite vague to me how to do it with a script.

Now I'm considering to export some DEM's as .xpm files to manipulate them. I know a bit of C# and there should be some things I could try. Unfortunately, that means it will take longer and it will not be integrated in Gimp. If any of you want to have a go in trying to solve the problem solely with Gimp, I'd be interested to see if/how it can be done.

Cheers - Akubra

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Wonderfully concise tutorial. Will try this!
    Thanks!

Sent using Tapatalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Olvyr View Post
    Wonderfully concise tutorial. Will try this!
    Thanks!
    I'm glad you find it useful. Don't shy from sharing your results, we love WIP's !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast