Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Digimundus Map (aka Sivia)

Wip Digimundus Map (aka Sivia)

Allo, so this is my semi-first attempt at a map... and just want to see what some people who are a lot more experienced think of this the results.
    Some things of note...
    The Mountains being centralized, and "large" is on purpose, the lore of the world is that the gods erected those mountains as somewhat barriers across the zones and the central location.
    The intention behind making this map is to use it as a Pangea for a 2nd map which will probably use different techniques to produce a few things features, regardless I'm still curious about the thoughts about the results with these techniques. That being said, that's also why there are few locations and no roads. The 4 locations present needed to be placed for placements on the next map.

That all being said. Any suggestions for how to go about splitting up and implimenting continental drift. Namely I need suggestions for defining the plates. I'm probably going to use a random number generator to select locations of Hot Spots, then use rift formation theory along with random angles to define where the plates are, but suggestions on simpler or more automatic way would be appreciated...

Lastly, the image is PNG and is 1.2 MB. I don't know the standard for people here, but that's fairly large so thought I'd mention it if that's an issue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3rdAgeDigimundus.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	75962
    Last edited by Durakken; 09-11-2015 at 08:07 PM.

So... this is the pangea broken up, before adding textures and such...

I'm thinking that maybe I should try to redo the rivers, lakes, and coasts a little, because shouldn't they look a bit different anyways?

Name:	5thAgeDigimundus.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	75981

Here is the land mass coast lines altered a bit...
    And also an overlay where I think mountain ranges should likely be... They seem off, but i dunno... The red dots are where some hotspots and thus smaller islands should be,

Name:	5thAgeDigimundusLandModded.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	75991Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5thAgeDigimundusMTNRange.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	75992

So I can just assume noone is going to offer any critique or advice even though that's the only reason I am posting this v.v

It's hard to make a comment without a notion of scale or projection.

I had started to write a response a day or so ago and realized that my comments probably wouldn't be productive. My biggest confusion (beyond how big and where) was the time that passed between the two maps. Assuming that the central ocean is roughly the size of the Atlantic ocean and physics are otherwise similar, it would take 50 million years or more to get from the first map to the second. I'm not sure what part of a story (or a species, for that matter) would span that length of time...

I am also not sure how to reconcile the notions of "gods erected" and "continental drift". The two imply radically different starting points in my fevered little brain.

The second map isn't terribly implausible, but there do seem to be a whole lot of hot spots. I'm also not certain if the left-hand continent is rifting apart or joining together. Some markings that show direction of travel for the plates would help with evaluating the plausibility of the layout.

waldronate

I assume you mean time when you say scale, but given later statements I think you mean world scale... it roughly equivalent to Earth, ~50px = 1000 km

The "triangular" looking mountains of the first map were pulled, more so towards the center triangle than out towards the edges...
    For all intents the above was done instantly so they are a feature that was there as a starting point rather than as effect by any natural movement.

As far as time... It's a bit funky, but what I'm saying in the story is that time for the inhabitants froze, but as the continents moved they would have moved naturally from the initial force which would be from continental drift.
    So on the one hand, no time has past, but on the other about 150 million have past, but the exact time to me isn't important. Only that it is a length of time is long enough to roughly get to a world from a pangea that has continents spread out.

So, the world should be fairly naturalistic with the God erected mountains just being a possible carry over feature and not an ongoing thing.

I don't know why you think there are a lot of hot spots... There are roughly 43 on earth where as what's showing is only about 14, but those are just marked to be where volcanic islands might be, that's all.

The left hand continents... Part of that horizontal range is from the original god mountain features, the other is due to them coliding with each other. The vertical are like the Argentinian mountain range.

The only odd feature really should be those initial mountains in the first map, and in the second map the center area is odd... I have no idea how that would work out, but it's not natural anyhow so not really a big deal...

Anyways, here are 2 images I hope are helpful. The first is just basically notes as to how I think they'll move. Though it's not exactly accurate (the lower right portion for example shows that it should go south east, but in the final it went more north east and spun...the reason being that it did go south first but then went back north), but those were my rough initial thoughts before I moved them and such.
    The second is where the chunks ended up, color coded to make it a bit easier to see where they are touching/overlapping. I was going to draw the paths on, but I don't know how you'd indicate rotation and without that it would seem more confusing imo so I just left it out.

Name:	SiviaTectonics1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	76031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SiviaTectonics2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	76032

My confusions come back to scale. It wasn't clear to me that the original maps were whole-world maps. Certainly, the single-continent map misled me: the apparent biome areas suggested only a fraction of the distance from equator to north pole . If that continent is about 20000x20000 km, then I would expect that the interior is extremely dry, disregarding any magical effects.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    My confusions come back to scale. It wasn't clear to me that the original maps were whole-world maps. Certainly, the single-continent map misled me: the apparent biome areas suggested only a fraction of the distance from equator to north pole . If that continent is about 20000x20000 km, then I would expect that the interior is extremely dry, disregarding any magical effects.
    In other threads i replied to I pretty my stated how I got to placement of whatever... The Artic region is way too big here.
    I thought the desert area was far too big as it was, but covers most of the central and south eastern quarter.

Anyways that isn't quite that important as the places that I put the cities would be the correct climats so no biggy ^.^ I think I made the Super continent too big to begin with , but I think I could probably change that by simply increasing the canvas size.

Right now I'm more concerned with those mountain ranges and if there are any glaring errors with them for the second map.

I don't see anything immediately wrong about the mountain ranges. The old mountains along the inner edge of the new ocean will likely be more worn than the new ones on the other side of the new continents and some of those inland seas might have silted up over time. Possibly a river or two might appear that is heading toward the new ocean.

>.> New version... Probably quite a few climate errors. Not quite sure...
    On the Western Continent I might make the eastern coast full desert and on the Eastern Continent I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to make the southern half of the northern half of it all more or less a desert.

The artic areas don't feel like they are transitioning right... No idea why that is.

Name:	SiviaAlmostComplete.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	76052

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast