Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Domhantyr

Map Domhantyr

Hello guilders! I've been working on this world map during this summer. Domhantyr means roughly "Domain Earth".

It's a reboot of a homemade rpg (yes, another one !). It's mainly a medieval/antique setting comparable to AGOT or Ars Magica or Aquelarre for its quite "realistic" style. Mainly humans, the other sentient beings are for the most part not inhabitants of the "real world" but of its magical planes. It has also fantastic remains of a more antique past (my influences being Janua Vera & Runequest, among others, for those aspects)..

Apart for the quite forgotten mythical age, the history is quite cyclic (though science & knowledge is globally increasing from one to the next). And most of the inhabitants just remember the last one. For divine and mythical reasons, each cycle begins with the breaking of seven seals by the gods. This allow new fantastic challenges and possibilities to emerge, some restrictions to disapear, and usually result in the foundation of empires or golden eras in some regions. Anyhow, it's a possibility for seven sentient beings to reach immortality, then, to take retirement from the world, usually by joining the gods in their celestial domain.
    In the last cycle, something went partly wrong. Seven empires rose (which is not always the case), two of the future immortals became dangerous and amoral, two others defied the gods and the cosmic rules... Then, the gods and the other planar lords (from dreams, death and abyss) doomed those empires in a more brutal manner than usual, with drastic consequences for some regions, still marked by those cataclysms.
    The time is now in the middle of a cycle : some powers are on the rise, heroes are emerging, the gods haven't broken all the new seals yet. Time and challenges will determine those worthy to be chosen as immortals.

I've done a lot of tests and new things that I first planned, and therfore, learned a lot. Thanks again to all the guilders who commented and supported me along the WIP. A lot of my new tryings are inspired by all the marvels I see here at the guild.
    Done as usual with PSP, in 2 pictures due to the weight...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Domhantyr Occidentalis.jpg 
Views:	5283 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	76002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Domhantyr Orientalis.jpg 
Views:	4090 
Size:	4.14 MB 
ID:	76003

It's a shame you made this now. I've already set up all my campaigns and poured too much time into another world to switch, tempting as it is with such a beautiful map.

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Great detailed map Ilanthar!

Absolutely stunning! As i said in the wip thread, i love this map. Very well done and inspiring. If i can, i'll rep. you. Looking forward to your next project!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Ah, such a fine map Ilanthar.
    That is a map to be proud of sir.
    Rep coming your way.

I can't rep you right now Ilanthar, but your map is awesome!
    I like the way you blended the sea texture (at the beginning of your WIP, it looked like too recurring) and the map legend border is simply awesome!
    Let me ask you: did you do everything with mouse?

Congratulations on finishing this outstanding map!
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Beautiful work. Well worth the wait. I know you rushed this a little at the end since you won't be able to map for a while, so if you don't mind, I'll offer a couple of suggestions:

1. I think the title banner ought to be a little bigger, but maybe that's personal preference.
    2. The nation banners might stand out a bit better from the terrain background if you put an ivory or other similar color underneath them. They look a bit odd with just the outline.

Outstanding work of art, and well-deserved rep coming at you!

Thanks a lot guys!

@ a.coldyham : I apologize! But for my defense, I had to take holidays ! What world are you playing with?
    @ Lesopeso : yes, everything is done with my mouse. I'll probably do more drawings with it now that I acquired some confidence in the matter.
    @ Diamond : thanks for the suggestions! A bigger title would have mean a bigger hanging sign... lack of time. I originally planned to do more drawings to separate each part of the key as well, but gave it up for the same reasons. Good point for the nation banners.

Fantastic map Ilanthar, I have been following this project quietly since the beginning and it was wonderful watching this develop and it's great to see it finished! Have some rep!

-Dan

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast