Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: September 2015 Challenge: The Shadows-Vorlon Cold War

Lovely sci-fi map you have here! The icons around the map are particularly cool
    Isn't your font T4C beaulieux?

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Francissimo View Post
    Lovely sci-fi map you have here! The icons around the map are particularly cool
    Isn't your font T4C beaulieux?
    Thank you, Francissimo! No, the font in the inset boxes is Brioso Pro (http://fontzone.net/font-details/brioso-pro-semibold). The font in the main map is Babylon 5 (http://www.fonts2u.com/babylon5.font). I do like T4C beaulieux though, I just downloaded it and maybe I'll try using it on a map soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Great job with this! I love the show (though I haven't seen the various miniseries). I have two suggestions for you. The first is to find a way to incorporate images of hyperspace and/or jump gates, even if it's just one part of an image; they're an important part of the B5 universe. The second is to focus more on the the big guns of the Vorlons and Shadows themselves: the Planet-Killers. These things eradicated or blew away entire planets toward the end, and they might be worth including if you have the space.

Also, there's a bit of a hard edge to the yellow region between the "Narn Telepaths Killed" and "event.

Seriously, though, this map is awesome! I hope you upload it to the appropriate wikis at the conclusion of this challenge.
    Thank you, Coriolis!! I'm not sure where you see a hard edge, but I tried softening it more, so if you can still see it, please point more specifically. The planets destroyed by the Shadows and Vorlons at the end were part of the Final Departure war. I considered trying to show them separately, but they were not pinpointed in the show, so it wasn't even clear where they were, and I finally just left them as a subpart of that event.

I do like your suggestion of adding a jump game picture, so I expect I'll do that.

Cheers,
    Cornelia

Banned User

A few minor changes per the previous post, and a little note about the icons a couple of people have mentioned.

The planets pictured in the inset box circles are (Mars and Earth) from NASA, (Episilon Eridani) from the Babylon 5 wiki, and the rest are ones that I created myself using a shaded sphere, and some planet textures from NASA (Venus surface) and from a fractal program (www.ultrafractal.com). I especially liked the results from the fractals because they looked very realistic and only required some planet colors to make them look like real planets might.

The other thing I've done is remove the second "League of Non-Aligned Worlds" label. Having both of them seemed too overpowering, especially because they are a bright color. Since there isn't really any way to stretch the label all the way around the map to encompass all the yellow systems, does it work ok with only one, and let the color carry over to the second region?

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShadowsVorlonColdWar D.jpg 
Views:	2968 
Size:	4.53 MB 
ID:	76259
    Last edited by Chick; 09-24-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

I think the single label works well. I also like the jump picture in the upper-left corner. Whatever you did fixed the hard edge that I saw. However, there's a new hard edge in the upper-right corner that overlaps the "Babylon Project" blurb. The map is looking really good!

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I think the single label works well. I also like the jump picture in the upper-left corner. Whatever you did fixed the hard edge that I saw. However, there's a new hard edge in the upper-right corner that overlaps the "Babylon Project" blurb. The map is looking really good!
    Coriolis, if I ever enter the Where's Waldo World Championship, I want YOU as my partner I am amazed at the detail you notice

Banned User

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShadowsVorlonColdWar E.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	4.52 MB 
ID:	76344

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    Coriolis, if I ever enter the Where's Waldo World Championship, I want YOU as my partner I am amazed at the detail you notice
    Well, thank you! I spend a lot of time trying to catch these in my own work, and I often miss them; it's very easy to miss a detail when you're the one creating the image in the first place.

The latest is definitely the greatest! The only other suggestion I have is to throw in an image of a Vorlon ship if you can find a spot. Kosh's transport might be a good choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12