Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Umbraland: Logo Design

Wip Umbraland: Logo Design

Disclaimer: This isn't a map, but I don't know where else to put cartographic related / tanget projects! If this needs to be moved, then by all means, mods, zap away.

"Umbraland" is the (current) name I'm giving my fantasy setting. As a web/graphic designer, I spend an unhealthy amount of time looking at logos and packaging (spent four or five minutes just investigating chewing gum packages at Safeway this weekend), it would be a shame for my own magnum opus to go without a sweet logo!

So, this will be my thread to showcase the logo as it evolves. Here it is so far at about 80% completion with the typeface (just got to clean it up and such) and maybe 25%-33% done with color and texture.

I am working towards having the logo look like a piece of metal being worked in a forge, so that's what's up with the general color schemes. Got a long way to go, though!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	umbraland-logo-1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	7117  
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

Love the "L" to the "A" transition. I like the idea of the lower portion being hot and workable. I will be interested to see if you put this on a cartouche of some kind to really set it off from whatever product it is placed on.
    Something witty and pithy

Thanks, Pig.

You got it, this will become the branded logo for all my maps and such. Gotta keep everything nice and cohesive, ya know?

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

i to like the logo, and idea... one thing i would personally prefer tho, is to have the headed, workable area look a little more raw, (when its red like that its very rarely crisp and most shaped... its just a personal preference, but I went into photoshop to see what i could do really quick, and this image was made quickly with a gradient mask to cover only the bottom half, then some playing around with the filter gallery... a simple multiply or overlay (i forget which i played with both) and it looks fairly decent... i'm sure a much nicer version could be done, but this is just for ideas.

Name:	umbraland_MoreWorked.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	7121  
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Guild Journeyer

I have no idea what the difference between those 2 is.

And I agree it looks nice

Quote Originally Posted by Jkaen View Post
    I have no idea what the difference between those 2 is.

And I agree it looks nice
    My understanding (I am not a professional graphic designer) is that a logo is typically an ideogram (sign, symbol, figure - like the Nike swoosh, the starbucks double-tailed mermaid, the GM "bowtie", or the Mercedes "three pointed star in a circle") while a logotype is a a word (the company name or abbreviation, typically) in a unique typeface/color/style (like IBM, Carlsberg, SONY).

-Rob A>

Ok, I was able to do a bit of work last night after work. It was all focused on the texture effects of both the "cold" iron and "hot" iron parts. I like the look, a lot really, but part of my is concerned that it looks too much like stone rather than old steel...

Quote Originally Posted by loogie View Post
    i to like the logo, and idea... one thing i would personally prefer tho, is to have the headed, workable area look a little more raw, (when its red like that its very rarely crisp and most shaped... its just a personal preference, but I went into photoshop to see what i could do really quick, and this image was made quickly with a gradient mask to cover only the bottom half, then some playing around with the filter gallery... a simple multiply or overlay (i forget which i played with both) and it looks fairly decent... i'm sure a much nicer version could be done, but this is just for ideas.
    I like the idea you were going for, loogie. As I mentioned in the OP, the logo is still very much a WIP, so it'll get better as I'm able to work more on it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    My understanding (I am not a professional graphic designer) is that a logo is typically an ideogram (sign, symbol, figure - like the Nike swoosh, the starbucks double-tailed mermaid, the GM "bowtie", or the Mercedes "three pointed star in a circle") while a logotype is a a word (the company name or abbreviation, typically) in a unique typeface/color/style (like IBM, Carlsberg, SONY).

-Rob A>
    The terms get bandied around a whole lot, but Rob's correct (and as a designer, I should have known better! Gah!). The Umbraland design is technically a logotype.

A logo is a combination of a mark and the logogtype together. However, in some cases the full logo can just be a logotype (and technically just the mark, but in all practicality that never happens).

Name:	umbraland-logo-2.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	7125  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think it looks quite good, I think you've pulled off the aged steel quite nicely.

If anything maybe it's a bit too bluish... *shrugs*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

as for the nit-picking.... the orange blob on the stroke for the "N" seems a bit out of place and too strong.

again, super nit-picky
    Something witty and pithy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast