• Yes

20 76.92%
  • No

6 23.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iron Mapper Challenge

Guild Journeyer

Post Iron Mapper Challenge

I am sure many of you are familiar with the iron chef format (plus maybe the spoof of it done in Order of the Stick), if not essentially you have a number of ingredients and the participants have to make whatever dishes they can from those components.

I suggest something similar for an encounter map, choose say half a dozen items that the map MUST include (either just name them or also provide clip art that may be used should the entrant wish) then all other parts of the map can be chosen as they wish.

Bonus points for some sort of background story linking all these elements into a setting for the encounter.

Suggested list would be something like:
    An Altar
    A barrel
    A Goblin
    A trap
    A bridge

Guild Journeyer

Teach me to try to 'americanise' the question, seems Iron chef is not quite the show I thought it was upon further research, the challenge is more like "Ready Steady Cook" from the UK, but ignoring what is now a poor intro to the suggestion, the idea still stands

You sir, are correct (i recently moved to the uk, and have seen both (while for ironchef, theres no comparison to the japo verison)

for those of you who havent seen ready steady cook. its almost exactly what your talking bout, they have celebs come on are bring ingredients to make a meal (they can spend as much as 7.50 to buy the ingredients, but usually have 4-5 things to make... much more then ironchefs one...)

anyways, i to think thats an amazing idea.
    Last edited by loogie; 10-16-2008 at 07:21 AM.
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

I remember seeing the intro for "Battle Milk" and was like What the heck? How can those crazy chefs use milk in 5 dishes AND make it so the judges can taste the flavor of the milk in the dish. Anyway, somehow, the chefs seemed to do ok with it, at least according to the judges. I also liked "Battle octopus" and seeing them trying to deal with those huge tentacles. Was neat to see a 2 and a half foot wok being used... looked more like a makeshift shield that a wok to me!

Anywhoooo... not a bad idea at all....as for the ingredient list... I would add.....a Herring! oh... and .... a Shrubbery... one that's not to tall, and looks nice.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

I had assumed the actual list would be dreamt up by the community leaders, but it seems an easy way to continue the 'in your own style' challenges that are proving so popular, but giving it that little twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkaen View Post
    I had assumed the actual list would be dreamt up by the community leaders, but it seems an easy way to continue the 'in your own style' challenges that are proving so popular, but giving it that little twist.

To a large degree, the July Challenge was pretty much this format.

hmm ... perhaps we professions for building types that must include interiors.... the butcher, the baker, and the candlestick maker... I can see it now... the blood and guts, the sacks of flour and an oven, and ummm candle making stuff????
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

To an extent, I was hoping this approach would leave things more open to interesting interpretations, to be honest I pondered long and hard about adding goblin to the list as it almost rules out a futuristic take on the challenge.

From the list I suggested you could have a range from woodlands through to 100% urban all sharing the same items.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One of the things I really like about this idea is the "title" of it.

We're working on the Lite Mapping Challenge concept, and I think it will please you all...the Iron Mapping Challenge would be another neat addition...but I dunno...will require some thought
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

I like the name but how will the eventual challenge be different from what we have now?

Smart names are a great thing but so is keeping a good tradition alive - no matter the name.

If you want to tip you hat to the name have a few monthly challenges in this idiom.

If you want to do a 'light' challenge how about we come up with some community map elements. Compass roses, trees, etc... make them a week per element and all the results some sort of progressive license (CC, Gnu etc...).

Sigurd

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    One of the things I really like about this idea is the "title" of it.
    Not that I am saying the format has to match the show, but for those who have no idea what Iron Chef is, here is a short explanation.

A challenger chef is selected by the producers to "compete". He is brought into the arena and either he(US version) or the host(Japan version) chooses his opponent from a pool(2-5) of "Iron Chefs" who are "masters of their art" The host then reveals the weeks secret ingredient, of which each of 5 meals must consist of said ingredient. As soon as the secret ingredient is revealed, the contestant and his Iron Chef opponent (and their 2 junior chefs each) are allowed exactly 60 minutes to prepare their 5 meals. After time is called, each chef address the judges to explain each of his 5 dishes. Then, the judges rate the entire meal based on use of the secret ingredient, originality and presentation by giving up to 20 points per chef (10, 5 , and 5 IIRC) for a max of 60 points (20 times 3 judges). Winner has the most point total.

EDIT: Allez Cuisine!
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 10-16-2008 at 11:59 AM.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast