• Yes

20 76.92%
  • No

6 23.08%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iron Mapper Challenge

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

<THREADJACK>
    What I think is funny is that the host of the US version (Mark Dacascos), is supposed to be the nephew of the host of the Japanese version.
    </THREADJACK>

That being said, I think this could be a fun change to the current challenge format, as long as its not overdone.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

to me i think it would be a good weekly or even daily challenge... it'd be fun to amp up the time, and make it kind of automated, have a list of items, and pick random ones every day... just a thought, reminds me of a weekly photo scavenger hunt i'm doing at the moment
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Guild Journeyer

Erm not up to daily map making!

I was expecting it to be a full standard map just like the normal monthly challenges

thats fine, i just think its a great idea, and could be done very often helping people brainstorm and such
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

One of the challenges a few months back was a 4 hour challenge. One could make it a similar 4, 8, 12, 24 hour challenge with the Iron Chef-esque challenge a la carte items tacked on?
    Something witty and pithy

Post Nov 07 challenge was like that, sort of...

The November 07 Challenge kind of worked that way. Yes, it was a "Create an Old West" map, but required a specific list of objects to be included on the map - mountains, hills, butte, cactus, railroad tracks, etc.

So, in a way, we've done a challenge that had this type of setup involved.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Journeyer

Cool, way before my time obviously. The question I guess is: was it succesful?

Post Yeah, but...

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Only three entries...

-Rob A>
    Yeah, that's true, but then it was an "Old West" map challenge, which may have fewer cartographers interested in that theme. Had the challenge been a list of required objects that must be posted, vs having any specific theme - it might have had more entries.

Allowing the participant to choose his or her own theme, may have had more interest.

We had to create the map objects ourselves in that entry. Perhaps for a Lite Challenge, perhaps all the required objects should be pre-created by someone here or from Dundjinni Forums and provided ahead of time. This way the participants must map the surroundings where these items are placed and that makes the creative portion of this challenge.

Thoughts?

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Journeyer

I would have objects they CAN use, that way you give people more freedom should they want to do a theme out of the ordinary (ie futuristic) or use a non standard mapping method (ie aurora engine or playdoh)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12