Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: caterpillar ridges feedback please!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Default caterpillar ridges feedback please!

Hi there, I'm back after a long absence, asking for feedback. Those who remember me might know I was looking for brushes for representing mountains in what we affectionately call marching ants or caterpillar style over here, though I was never happy with what I saw (though J Edward, in this thread made a damn good set of brishes or them!). I finally tried doing them by hand (ie each stroke one-by-one) and thought I'd share the results to see what you all think

i still want to do a bit of subtle highlighting/shading, though i think the effect is quite good. Please let me know what you think, thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12036499_525557314267898_6334507070975623753_n.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	76272

Hey Vorro, good to have you back! I really hope we will see more of you and your work again in the coming months?!

As to the question at hand: I was never a big fan of the caterpillar mountains, so i don't think i can really be of help here. I still give it a try () : As far as the look goes, i think those caterpillars look at least as good as those i have seen so far.
    I do hope though that your Elyden map will continue to use your awesome "real" mountains
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

thanks, depends on the map, to be honest. sine the world has evolved into an industrialised world, those artistic maps don't really fit in, so ill probably be going for more of the marching caterpillar style, though if i'm making an 'antique' map, so to speak, ill certainly make some new custom mountains

The caterpillars look nice.. actually, they look great! They do fit the style perfectly.

But... it seemed to me that something wasn't right and I stared at your map for a while. And here's what I think it is: the way you are using them and the scale of the map don't match, stacked rows would be much more common on a map covering smaller areas. Caterpillar rows represent a sudden change in altitude (a slope) and they don't necessarily match lines connecting points of equal altitude. Your handwork (which I assume was enormous!) seems a lot like contour lines, but because it is done with this style it hints weird staircase shaped landforms to the reader (that's the best I can explain it...)

I would limit the number of lines stacking, either keep the inner ones in the case of a ridge, or the outer ones in case of a plateau.

Thanks for the feedback! It didnt take that long to be honest (it took longer establishing the style i was after and getting used to the actions than drawing them).

How would you imagine a map on this scale to show mountains/contours? And for an idea of the scale the extent of land W - E in that part of the map is around 1400 miles
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 09-26-2015 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    How would you imagine a map on this scale to show mountains/contours?
    The way you are writing your question shows you might still be mixing the two ways of reporting orography. "Caterpillars" do not follow contour lines, they show slope..

The Iberian Peninsula is 1000 km wide (roughly half the size of your map), which makes it a good area for comparisons.
    Have a look at this map and then this map... Do you see that "mountains" as marked with the caterpillars don't match "highlands" as colored in modern relief... I hope I helped.
    Also, the first map has a great solution for the large/steep slopes, which is to use a double line of "caterpillar marks".

cool, that 1st map is similar to what I was aiming for to be honest.... though its a bit 'boring'. so to speak. maybe i should look for another style, that i can easily replicate. thanks for the feedback, much appreciated

Here's a newer example someone did for the Dinotopia map.
    I was trying to find some other maps I'm sure I have as examples but wasn't able to find them.

Name:	Antique+Map.vsm.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	76280 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lettering+Detail.lorez.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	76281
    I can not recall where I saved them from or I would have just linked to them.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Honestly, Vorro, with the amount of text you cram into your maps (which IMO makes them awesome), the caterpillars on that first Spain map Pixie posted would look great.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Here's a newer example someone did for the Dinotopia map.
    I was trying to find some other maps I'm sure I have as examples but wasn't able to find them.

Name:	Antique+Map.vsm.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	76280 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lettering+Detail.lorez.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	76281
    I can not recall where I saved them from or I would have just linked to them.
    Actually that's one of the maps I had for reference. I'd have to try them out, but I dont know how to differentiate between large and small mountains this way (make the stroke longer?)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Honestly, Vorro, with the amount of text you cram into your maps (which IMO makes them awesome), the caterpillars on that first Spain map Pixie posted would look great.
    haha! actully this map probably wont have that much more labels, though the inset i posted is of a desert region so is sparser than most other areas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast