Thread: Hello!!!

Guild Novice

Default Hello!!!

Hello/Bonjour everyone!

I'm yanick_therrien, I've been a member for a couple months now but I just started now to seriously consider drawing maps, plus I've failed to introduce myself previously, so here I am! I'm a Physical Education student. I also plan to obtain a masters in history, so naturaly the love of maps comes with the love of history.

I'm bilingual, so I'll probably be posting both in French and in English, depending on the language in which I drew the map. I apologize in advance to any butchery I might make of English...French is my first language after all.

I'm currently working on mapping project for a massive fantasy world that I imagined over the course of 6 years. It is still in its early development stages...I've started handdrawing the map, but I want to put more details into it, and develop the story and lore behind the map as well.

I'll probably post the map for feedback...eventually. I'm very coachable and take to critique very well so when I do post the map, don't hesitate to give me points to work on.

A part from that info, I'll just give you an idea of my hobbies just to help you guys have a better idea of my personnality, and also to make myself seem a bit more human or genuine. I love sports. I'm a goaltender in hockey (Montreal Canadiens for life!) and a black belt in karate (Shorin-Ryu Karate for those who are wondering). A part from that, I also play Ultimate Frisbee, ball hockey, I mountain bike, I played soccer, baseball, volley-ball, badminton, track and field...you name it, I probably played or at least heard of it. I also like reading, mostly on history, but also history, mystery and a bit of sci-fi (dystopian mostly, 1984 is my fav).
    I also enjoy writing for the sake of writing. I've been actively trying to polish my cursive in the 3-4 years. I feel like it's one of the dying arts in this world. So I'll probably hand-drawing and hand-labelling my maps. It makes them look more authentic to me.

So yeah, that's me in a nutshell. Lookin' forwards to meet you all along the way.

Sincerely

yanick_therrien

Banned User

Hello yanick_therrien, Welcome to the Guild!

There is a great tutorial in the sticky section of Tutorials, called Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4276

From there, go to Hand Drawn Mapping for the Artistically Challenged: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=10655

Once you have completed those two tutorials, you'll be well on your way!!

Guild Novice

Thanks Chick!

I'm looking forwards to get started on that map!

Welcome/ bienvenue, yanick_therrien! I'll forgive any and all imperfect English if you'll ignore my butchered French, deal?

How do you have your world building organized? I've found wiki form is a great aid to recording what is where, who is whom, and what happened why... Even if nobody ever sees it but you. Do indeed let us see your mapping as it develops - you will notice among respondents to Work-in-progress threads much helpful advice.

Hello there, yanick_therrien!

I'm also not a native english speaker and your english is perfectly fine! french is also the language of many members here, but nonetheless you'll see people here is prone to oversight small errors when writing to focus on the important thing - cartography!

I'm a kickboxer but have practiced karate in the past (kyokushin), along with boxing, jiujitsu, sambó and savate.

Hope you like your stay here and bring us many amazing maps!

G'luck!
    Drawing skills? What drawing skills?!

My Deviantart

Guild Novice

Sounds like a deal jbgibson!

Right now my world is organized under different pieces of paper in a binder. Inside there are a few map sketches of 2 of my continents, as well as a partial sketch of a third one. There's also some background information of the world, its history, it's people, its culture, etc.

I'm thinking of making a post soon just to give the community a better idea of what I'm trying to accomplish, so that you could all help me better.

Well Hello there : )

Guild Novice

Hello posnurx!