Thread: The City of Splitwater

Map The City of Splitwater

First attempt at this type of map... I used Photoshop for the map and Illustrator for the border, legend, etc. The city is set in an unnamed world (so far) at the southern end of a river which was created by a massive disaster that divided the continent in two. Thanks in advance for the feedback!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CityOfSplitwater_Marked.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	997.5 KB 
ID:	76470  
    Last edited by dblambo03; 10-05-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like it. I wish it was a little bigger, so my tired old eyes could pick out the details better though. The layout is appealing; I like that V-double bridge.

I'm guessing the dark areas are cliffs? They look fine around the coastlines, but I'm less convinced by the ones on the sides of the hills; something about that doesn't look right. They look more like canyons.

Have some rep and keep up the good work!

Banned User

Good job dblambo03, hope to see more from you

I agree I'd like to see a bigger version as it clearly has a lot of detail. I do like the overall layout though and how there is a river dock further up before it gives way to sheer cliffs. "The City" looks a more pleasant place to live than the old town. Any particular reason why the roofs are so brightly coloured or do they just prefer to paint them that way?

Needs more farmland though but you can always handwave that or just say most of it is further up the valley or something!
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Diamond, Thanks for the feedback! I'll work on getting a larger version up... You are correct that the dark areas are cliffs, I'll try to lighten them up a bit so they're more visible while I brainstorm ideas for adjusting the look. Thanks again!
    Last edited by dblambo03; 10-05-2015 at 11:05 AM.

Larb, Thanks for the feedback! The idea behind the brighter colors in "The City" is that it is much newer construction, and geared towards the more wealthy population, so "Old Town" would be have plain buildings, duller colors, etc. As for the farmland that was exactly my thought. That and imports from upriver/along the coast. Thanks again!

The shadows on your hills looks good, maybe add some texture to the overall ground level, little plastic looking (maybe add a parchment layer under the green and give the green some transparency for the parchment to show through. You could also use a large brush set to a low opacity and paint in some variation. Maybe work on the scale a little, not quite a normal scale bar. Nice Job overall.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    The shadows on your hills looks good, maybe add some texture to the overall ground level, little plastic looking (maybe add a parchment layer under the green and give the green some transparency for the parchment to show through. You could also use a large brush set to a low opacity and paint in some variation. Maybe work on the scale a little, not quite a normal scale bar. Nice Job overall.
    Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely be making some adjustments and will work these in.