Thread: Grymrye (commissioned greyscale map)

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Map Grymrye (commissioned greyscale map)

A regional map, done as a commission for a novel by Brian Cole.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Commission for Brian Cole, Upload.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	741.5 KB 
ID:	76525
    Last edited by Wired; 10-05-2015 at 07:02 AM.

Looks nice, I really like the shaky font you used. was wondering only why you did the white lettering outline on some but not all of your labels?
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Quote Originally Posted by Barek333 View Post
    Looks nice, I really like the shaky font you used. was wondering only why you did the white lettering outline on some but not all of your labels?
    Thank you!
    It came down to a question of legibility. Where the lettering intersected with the brushwork below it became harder to decipher, so I needed something as a buffer between the drawing and the font. With the large regional/ocean names that really wasn't necessary as there was nothing except the basic texture beneath them. You have to keep in mind that the map in its final print form is a good deal smaller than what you see now.

I like the overall feel of the map. The landshapes are also pleasing to my eyes. Not sure i am satisfied with the look of the forests...they are not fitting in, imo. Not exactly sure why. Also the pine-forests around ashvale seem a bit smudgy.
    Btw, you might want to point out to your client that Cormyr is a very famous place in the Forgotten Realms, a big DnD world that is also used for novels. Keeping that name in there might bring troubles for him.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    I like the overall feel of the map. The landshapes are also pleasing to my eyes. Not sure i am satisfied with the look of the forests...they are not fitting in, imo. Not exactly sure why. Also the pine-forests around ashvale seem a bit smudgy.
    You're right. I simply didn't notice that at the resolution I was working with. I've changed it.
    Btw, you might want to point out to your client that Cormyr is a very famous place in the Forgotten Realms, a big DnD world that is also used for novels. Keeping that name in there might bring troubles for him.
    Fair point. Moria is also a rather, ahm, well-known place, as is Elswher (not sure if its spelled that way, but it's a region in Tamriel from the "The Elder Scrolls" video games).

Banned User

Nice look, but I'm not crazy about your single white line for coastal waves, it's too far out and doesn't really fit the idea. But ... congrats on a commission

Blog Entries

Yeah, I recognized Moria right away. This map is really impressive - great for being printed in black and white on one of the first few pages of a novel! My only criticism would have to be how the legend box is partially placed over the border on the lower right corner of the map. That drives me nuts
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Nice map, I really like your mountains.

So everybody has something they like and something they absolutely hate. Thanks guys.