Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: December 2015 Annual Challenge: Nissyr Arcology

Wip December 2015 Annual Challenge: Nissyr Arcology

OK, for my first challenge, I thought the annual challenge would be perfect, since I'm quite a slow cartographer... But it turns out it's gonna be a 2 months challenge, so I'm gonna be in a rush.
    I want to test something I've never done, so here is an "arcology" for a post-apocalyptic world. It's a self-sufficient city (theorically, at least), located in a crater and covered by a dome.
    Here's just a general sketch (more a placeholder than anything else). I intend to do a top view, a side view, and some details of each important part at a bigger scale.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nissyr Arcology.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	452.2 KB 
ID:	76535
    Of course, comments are welcome!

Just a small update. A paper texture I'll probably stain in the end. I will rework the side view, just a sketch right now.
    On the top view, except the larger circle and the inner one, the other represents metro/rail lines. The octogons are the metro stations and elevators to access the different levels.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	36 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	76555

A first test for shadows on the top view. Not sure if it helps to guess the general form... nor if it's correct. The red lines are both ways and separation between the different sectors of the arcology. I feel like I'm still stuck at the very beginning I must say.

Views:	44 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	76633

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Hi Ilanthar, this looks like a very interesting concept. And a nice clean "technical" style so far. Will there be a glass roof or something, or is it open to the sky? Looking forward to see it develop.
    Cheers,
    AL
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Ganbatte!

It'll come along!
    Drawing skills? What drawing skills?!

My Deviantart

Thanks guys!
    Not doing a lot more but... some trees and the general levels on the side-view.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	48 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	76700
    @ Abu Lafia : The whole thing is under a dome made of a complexe material : it's transparent (though dark from the outside and luminous from the inside) and produces energy from the sun and wind (by piezoelectric effect).
    @ TK : I'm curious, what does "Ganbatte" means ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    @ TK : I'm curious, what does "Ganbatte" means ?
    It's a japanese expression commonly used and it means something along the lines of "Do your best!", "Hang in there, don't give up!", Give everything you have, go for it!". They often use it a lot in sports, work and school to give incentive to people. The complete form is 頑張ってください Ganbatte kudasai or 頑張って Ganbatte and as an answer to it you can say, はい、頑張ります! Hai, ganbarimasu! (polite) or うん、頑張る!Un, ganbaru! (casual) in response. It means, “Yes, I’ll do my best!”
    Drawing skills? What drawing skills?!

My Deviantart

Hai, ganbarimasu!

Thanks for the explanation TK. I will have time to work on it next week and hope to work out some not-too-bad solutions.

How is the work going on this Ilanthar? Eager to see where this will go!

Cheers,
    Tainotim

I find these types of buildings fascinating, but I can understand why you're feeling lost already. I wouldn't have the faintest idea where to even start, but what you've got so far looks fantastic.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast