Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wizards Academy maps 2 - Lairs

Map The Wizards Academy maps 2 - Lairs

I was contracted by Drop Dead Studios to produce a series of maps for their upcoming Wizard Academy adventure module for Pathfinder.
    It was a number of full and half page maps of the academy, dungeons, and such as well as some lair maps.
    I posted the academy maps previously - http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=31675

Here are the lairs. Each is for one of the teachers at the academy.
    I haven't seen the module yet so I am not sure how they play into the adventure.
    These are some of the most involved encounter maps I've done yet.
    They definitely expanded this style and gave me some challenges.
    These were done in roughly a weeks time, give or take a day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lairs - Daemen's Lair.jpg 
Views:	885 
Size:	485.3 KB 
ID:	76610 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lairs - Windjina's Dungeon.jpg 
Views:	982 
Size:	490.6 KB 
ID:	76611

Name:	Lairs - Fezmet's Castle.jpg 
Views:	1040 
Size:	595.0 KB 
ID:	76612 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lairs - Clik's Lair.jpg 
Views:	892 
Size:	533.7 KB 
ID:	76613

Name:	Lairs - Barodens Dungeon.jpg 
Views:	779 
Size:	429.0 KB 
ID:	76614 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lairs - Savesha's Estate.jpg 
Views:	1768 
Size:	607.4 KB 
ID:	76615

Name:	Lairs - Toc's Lair.jpg 
Views:	925 
Size:	741.8 KB 
ID:	76616 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lairs - Meeda's Dungeon.jpg 
Views:	999 
Size:	529.1 KB 
ID:	76617

posted with permission by Drop Dead Studios copyright 2015

Looks awesome! Wait you mean you spent one week to do all of them, so like a day per map? O.O

Again, one of my favorite artists on this site, bravo

Cheers,
    Barek
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Thanks Barek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barek333 View Post
    Wait you mean you spent one week to do all of them, so like a day per map? O.O
    Yep. My hands hurt a bit from that push but I was trying to meet a tight deadline.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Man, what a stunning set of maps John! Drop Dead Studios and the whole Pathfinder community must be overly happy The amount of lovely details is massive and i'm really happy to see more maps in this amazing style of yours, which is developping greatly indeed. The different color schemes for the maps are fantastic. My favourite ones (although it's quite hard to decide because they're all soo good) are Daeman's Lair, Clik's Lair and Meeda's Dungeon. I will have to grab a copy of the module, even if it's only for the maps... although the information on the maps looks already very promising.
    Cheers,
    AL
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Fantastic maps JE. I am confused though on WindJina's Dungeon, the stairs in NE corner appear to be the only exit, but the label says down to secret dungeon level. Is there a way up to the Academy or am I missing something?

I love the detail and colour palette you used for these JEdward, which is really pleasant to look at. And as always your lettering is superb ( I quite like the bottom left map in particular, with the different assortment of flowers and the little things like the detail in the tree trunk walls). Well done!

Thank you Abu.
    Yeah, DDS was very pleased.
    I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite - each one presented different challenges and I dealt with those in different ways which makes me appreciate them all.

Thanks Bogie. You had me worried there for a moment. I thought I had mislabeled something.
    No, there is a way - I'll upload a pic in a minute or two to show the relation the the dungeon. Just after these comments.

Thank you Sharpes.
    I really liked that one too. I always like things where I get to try new ways to draw trees.

Here you go Bogie. Hopefully this explains the relation of secret dungeon lvl.1 to Windjina's dungeon on the same level as Secret Dungeon lvl.2.

Name:	DDS secret dungeons edit 02a.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	304.8 KB 
ID:	76624

Some very nice things you have posted it! I'm not sure if I could pick a favourite as there is something I really like about all of them but I suppose I lean towards the castle map if anything.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Have to agree with Larb about everything. Such stunning work, done in such a short time. Hope they paid well for it! The castle map is my favorite. Reminds me of the Arcane Sanctuary in Blizzards Diablo II, a area I always loved.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast