Thread: Worldmap Mountains in GIMP

Tutorial Worldmap Mountains in GIMP

Hi! I've played around with GIMP and I think I have found out a way to make "worldmap" mountains in GIMP. I would like to share it with you and hopefully someone of you can develope it futher ! I will try to explain as good as I can, but my English isn't very good. I'm using the Swedish edition of GIMP, so I don't know all of the option names in English...

1. Make a transparent layer and choose FILTER-RENDER-CLOUD-SOLID NOISE. Set the detail to 15 and the size to max.

2. Now make a bumpmap of the layer. Choose FILTER-MAP-BUMPMAP.
    Set the hieght to 50 and depth to 20.

3.Now choose bumpmap again on the same layer, but set depth to 60.

4. Now threshold the layer.

5. Now click on SELECT- (and the option above the first line in the option box). Click on the box and press delete. You will now probebly only have the black or white area left in the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	7170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	7171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	455.3 KB 
ID:	7172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	620.8 KB 
ID:	7173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	577.6 KB 
ID:	7174  

6. Press SELECT-INVENT and choose the gradient tool. Pick two colours (black and white). and apply it to the picture.

7. Now make a new layer filled with any colour.

8. Choose bumpmap on the colour layer and pick the “mountain” layer. Now you can choose how you want your mountains to look like.

9. Now you have a very big mountain region. Try to change the mountain colours to another colour an so on.

I hope this was a for some help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	592.2 KB 
ID:	7175   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	533.4 KB 
ID:	7176   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	588.0 KB 
ID:	7177   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	7178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	7179  

Quote Originally Posted by Uomaru View Post
    4. Now threshold the layer.
    That step confuses me, as I have never used threshold before, so i have no clue how to do it
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    That step confuses me, as I have never used threshold before, so i have no clue how to do it

See RobA's tutorials for more details, but Colors->Threshold. Basically, it turns your image into a straight up B/W. You can play with the sliders to make it more or less in either direction depending on the levels of color intensity(ie, light/dark) of the base layer. The more (wildly)varied the original image is from pixel to pixel, the more your threshold slider adjustment will break up the image when moving from black to white and visa versa. Light colors get white faster, dark colors turn black faster as you move the slider. Or, at least thats my understanding. Playing with RobA's coastline techniques or his Regional map tutorials area good way to get a basic understanding of what threshold does.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    See RobA's tutorials for more details, but Colors->Threshold. Basically, it turns your image into a straight up B/W. You can play with the sliders to make it more or less in either direction depending on the levels of color intensity(ie, light/dark) of the base layer. The more (wildly)varied the original image is from pixel to pixel, the more your threshold slider adjustment will break up the image when moving from black to white and visa versa. Light colors get white faster, dark colors turn black faster as you move the slider. Or, at least thats my understanding. Playing with RobA's coastline techniques or his Regional map tutorials area good way to get a basic understanding of what threshold does.
    oh okay

now that i think of it, i have used it before, but only for making stars
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass