Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prepared! In Its Horrid Wake

Footsteps looking much better, love the cracks.
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

This may be the final version. I'm not entirely happy with the grass. I'd actually like to try to <sincerest form of flattery> the sort of grass texturing that J. Edward and Mike Schley do, but that's a lot of lines and I don't think my timeline will permit it. Maybe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In-Its-Horrid-Wake.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	474.1 KB 
ID:	76740

cheers,
    Meshon

Edit: Forgot some things, re-uploaded the possibly maybe final version.
    Last edited by Meshon; 10-13-2015 at 10:27 PM.

Oh I missed this one. It looks great! So am I right in assuming this is an adobe structure?
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Oh I missed this one. It looks great! So am I right in assuming this is an adobe structure?
    Yep, that was my goal. Although I didn't really do much research into how adobe works. I'm glad you like it, thank you!

Warning! Slightly philosophical musings and meanderings ahead. Feel free to just skip to the picture
    And thanks to Barek333 for inspiring said musing.

I really wanted to try to do grass like Mike Schley and J. Edward do, with lots of little lines. Like this thing of beauty. I've looked at their drawings to try to figure it out, but what I'm looking at is the end result of a process. And by process I mean a thought process, not just a series of steps in software manipulation. All I can do is look at the end result and try to imagine how I might get there.

It's very fruitful; I know that imitating, er… sincerely flattering other people's finished works, trying to work out for myself, "how do I get mine to look like that?" has taught me a lot about drawing maps. But when Barek333 told me to go and have a second look at the footprints on this particular map, I was presented with a different perspective. In this case I had a mapping problem (make big footprints!) and had to try a whole bunch of things to get it to work. I finally came up with something that I liked, something I had never done before that actually sort of looked like I wanted it to, even though I didn't know what it was going to look like when I started (yes, ultimately this grand revelation was just, "make cracks in the ground!").

I had a chance to ask about the grass texture and got a fantastic response that was just a little insight into the thought processes that can go into drawing (if you follow Mr. Schley on G+ you can go see what he said, it's cool). I really want to pay more attention to this idea of thought process that operates alongside the technical aspects of what we do here. It's not as easy to articulate (and maybe not always conscious) but I think it's useful for me to be aware of the part of the art that's not just values and numbers, like what brush to use with what settings. If I can, if it's useful, I'll try to share that too.

Now the musing is over, here's my imitation sincerest form of flattery of what I like the call the One Million Tiny Lines grass texture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In-Its-Horrid-Wake.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	693.0 KB 
ID:	76742

cheers,
    Meshon

I think you have done a really good job with this. You have the skills to do this type of grass lines. And I'm glad I helped? in a way
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

This turned out really well. Also, I'm glad to know I'm not the World's Chief Procrastinator after all (it's sort of comforting to me, as a relative newbie, to know that others suffer and put off things too, instead of being the confident, poised, artistic geniuses that I believe they are!!)

I love what you've done with the grass texture. It's not just One Million Tiny Lines™. Your shading is very well done too, and that really sells the gorgeous textured feel. I love the cracks and broken bits on the roof of the temple too. Great job!

PS Belated Happy Thanksgiving.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by Barek333 View Post
    I think you have done a really good job with this. You have the skills to do this type of grass lines. And I'm glad I helped? in a way
    Inspiration can strike anywhere! Thanks for the feedback, it was very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    This turned out really well. Also, I'm glad to know I'm not the World's Chief Procrastinator after all (it's sort of comforting to me, as a relative newbie, to know that others suffer and put off things too, instead of being the confident, poised, artistic geniuses that I believe they are!!)

I love what you've done with the grass texture. It's not just One Million Tiny Lines™. Your shading is very well done too, and that really sells the gorgeous textured feel. I love the cracks and broken bits on the roof of the temple too. Great job!

PS Belated Happy Thanksgiving.
    I'm glad you like the texture. It was a great process to try, both technically and mentally. Got me thinking.

And I fully agree about the artistic geniuses. Often times we only see the final stages of all the process. I could honestly have posted about four or five pieces before the first sketch I put up as I was fiddling around trying to get something that felt right. There was probably a couple of hours of endeavour prior to that sketch as I tried and discarded various shapes and layouts for the area.

I'm really happy with this map, I'm glad to hear some corroboration because I'm biased

cheers,
    Meshon

Nice and fun! The idea reminds me of a map of Domino44 for a challenge. The work you did on the grass is indeed impressive.

Glad, i have the time now to take a closer look at this wonderful map (and wip thread) of yours. First of all, i think you should do wip threads of your maps more often (at least if you got the time) since it's always very valuable to get some insights in the thought processes besides "pure" mapping issues .
    To your map: I think all the elements look exeptionally great and are fitting very well together. It's a nice mixture of a not too "overloaded" layout and a lot of fantastic details. The footprints are really cracking, kudos! The cracked up plastering(?) is another highlight in my view, as are all the other indices of destruction. I know your weakness for things "kaputt" or dirty, and you did an awesome job with this map . The newly aquired grass texture technique looks awesome.
    Keep up the good work (and the great spirit ofc)!
    Cheers,
    AL
    PS: ok, now i finally understood the function of the stone block on the roof
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast